What's new

Facebook App no longer available. Edge Chromium and Facebook Beta website replacing the app?

Turbo4AWD

Last week, I powered up my Surface Pro 6 and hit the "Facebook" tile in my start menu. The app crashed. I opened it again and the app opened this time, but stated that my username/password was incorrect. I entered the credentials in correctly and recieved a prompt stating "This app is no longer supported. Please visit the website via browser..". My biggest reason for using the app was due to the power savings I got using the Facebook app versus using the website in a browser. The web browser would kill battery life compared to the App.

I had also recently downloaded the Microsoft Edge Chromium app and noticed it was faster than the regular Edge browser. In light of receiving the message from Facebook's Windows app, I decided to visit the page on Edge Chromium. I get a notification in the upper right corner of my Facebook page that says "...try our Beta website...". All of a sudden I see a touch friendly webpage. I am wondering if this is their replacement for removing support for the app.

Plantje

I heard that they were about to kill the Facebook app. Most likely they just don't want to invest in an app that is not being used a lot anymore. I found the website to be more useful anyway, but that is personal.

For now, I am very happy with the new Edge Chromium and the way you can create an app from a website. I pin those to my start screen and I am good to go!

Still, I haven't seen a Facebook "try our beta website" pop up.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Edge Browser 64 bit Version 80.0.361.66 keeps surprising me with speed. This is the browser I hoped Edge would be. Favorites, shortcuts, printing optimization, download management, ad blocking, extensions, and apparently relatively low power draw for all this might.

Plantje

Edge Browser 64 bit Version 80.0.361.66 keeps surprising me with speed. This is the browser I hoped Edge would be. Favorites, shortcuts, printing optimization, download management, ad blocking, extensions, and apparently relatively low power draw for all this might.
I agree, it is very solid!
And I am very happy, that I always stuck with Edge :)

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

I heard that they were about to kill the Facebook app. Most likely they just don't want to invest in an app that is not being used a lot anymore. I found the website to be more useful anyway, but that is personal.

For now, I am very happy with the new Edge Chromium and the way you can create an app from a website. I pin those to my start screen and I am good to go!

Still, I haven't seen a Facebook "try our beta website" pop up.

I have the option to switch back to regular Facebook...

1583804268135.png

Plantje

I'm ok with no option for beta. However, yesterday in the car I wasn't able to post an update on the Facebook web app. Perhaps I should focus on driving anyway

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

In that case I hope they made sure that while using tablet mode, the app is as touch friendly as on the iPad and several Android tablets.

Yeah, it definitely is touch friendly. Facebook basically kicked me off of the App giving me a message that "This app is no longer supported. Visit the Facebook webpage for more info..." and I had to uninstall the app from my Surface Pro 6. It works really well for touch screen only use.

Plantje

Great! Still there is a lot of work for Microsoft to do. For example: speech to text doesn't work for Dutch. I can really use features like this when in a traffic jam. Then I am able to speak to my Surface Pro and that way dictate E-mails, chat messages or whatsoever, but I would not be able to pick up the tablet and start typing.