What's new

Differences between Surface Book 1 and 2

jrioux

I'm curious about the tangible differences that an average user might notice between the Surface Book 1 and 2. I know the 2 has newer generation CPUs and better high end graphics options, but what differences might I notice between lower end models. The original has some good discounts right now.

For example, is the hinge really improved on the 2? Does the 2 fold flatter than the original? Will it last significantly longer? Is it easier to remove and reattach the keyboard of the 2, or is it about the same? Does the 2 have better battery life? What other improvements might I notice?

BTW, I currently own an SP3 with i5 and 4GB of RAM, so I expect at least a little improvement in performance from either Surface Book and I look forward to the bigger screen. However, I'm wondering if the extra weight will bother me.

Thanks for any insights.

Jerry

unruledboy

CPU: Gen 8 vs gen 6, quad core vs dual.core, 40% faster
Battery: 17h vs 13h?
Discrete video card: 1060/1050 vs 965? 6 times faster
Tablet: 5h battery vs 3h

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I have been using a SB 512 and a SB 1TB w Performance Base since they came out.

The faithful performance of these machines along with Windows 10 has allowed me to do much work without major hardware or software problems.

Now I am upgrading from the SB 512 to a 15” SB 2 1TB.

OP
jrioux

jrioux

I have been using a SB 512 and a SB 1TB w Performance Base since they came out.

The faithful performance of these machines along with Windows 10 has allowed me to do much work without major hardware or software problems.

Now I am upgrading from the SB 512 to a 15” SB 2 1TB.
Thanks. I looked at the SB2 at Best Buy. It is beautiful, but I decided to pass on it. Due to my disability, I had a difficult time separating the screen from the keyboard. :(

Afy

One noticeable thing I have noticed is that my VM's boot up in about half the time using an external disk when compared to my XPS 15 9550 or even the SP4. Its the same Samsung T1.
The Kaby Lake R chips seem to be noticeably faster in real world scenarios.

Other than which I still haven't done anything on the SB2 that has used the 1050 GPU. I don't game or Permiere etc. Just do Databases.. then again its the same story on the XPS as well.