What's new

detach hardware failure - general failure

unruledboy

My Surface Book 2 13' + discrete GPU Started to have this issue from last week. Symptoms:

• after sleep, can't wake up, no matter no many times you press power button
  • if use the detach button at the keyboard, force eject the tablet part, attach again, then the power button will work again
  • even it starts, it shows the following issue.
  • I have the latest driver in late Jan 2018.

upload_2018-3-13_22-32-12.png

upload_2018-3-13_22-32-39.png

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
My Surface Book 2 13' + discrete GPU Started to have this issue from last week. Symptoms:

• after sleep, can't wake up, no matter no many times you press power button
  • if use the detach button at the keyboard, force eject the tablet part, attach again, then the power button will work again
  • even it starts, it shows the following issue.
  • I have the latest driver in late Jan 2018.

View attachment 8916

View attachment 8917

Are you using stock NVIDIA driver or the latest GeForce from NVIDIA? I had this using the driver from January...rolling back to stock fixed it...

OP
unruledboy

unruledboy

Are you using stock NVIDIA driver or the latest GeForce from NVIDIA? I had this using the driver from January...rolling back to stock fixed it...

How to roll back to the stock?

It is getting worse today. The physical eject button shows red light, no matter how long I hold, it simply won't eject. So basically my surface book becomes surface laptop......

Uninstalled the recently installed Surface Driver (Jan update), the physical eject button works again, but the icon stills same problem. I checked the windows event log, it says error:

In System:
Source: SurfaceHotPlug

In Apllication:
Source: SurfaceDtxService

And open Task Manager, it does not show the dGPU at all.

I re-installed the latest driver downloaded from here: Download Surface Book 2 Drivers and Firmware from Official Microsoft Download Center

The eject icon will initially shows "detached", and finally works after windows booted and waited for around extra 10 seconds. But when I open Task Manager, the dGPU still won't recognize, have to eject and put it back then it appears, really annoying.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

It is getting worse today. The physical eject button shows red light, no matter how long I hold, it simply won't eject. So basically my surface book becomes surface laptop......

Uninstalled the recently installed Surface Driver (Jan update), the physical eject button works again, but the icon stills same problem. I checked the windows event log, it says error:

In System:

In Apllication:

I re-installed the latest driver downloaded from here: Download Surface Book 2 Drivers and Firmware from Official Microsoft Download Center

The eject icon will initially shows "detached", and finally works after windows booted and waited for around extra 10 seconds. But when I open Task Manager, the dGPU still won't recognize, have to eject and put it back then it appears, really annoying.
I had to remove the newer driver and reboot. What Build are you on?

OP
unruledboy

unruledboy

I had to remove the newer driver and reboot. What Build are you on?

I tried several times, uninstall -> reboot, not working, then -> install, dead cycle.

I am on Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.248).

The last resort may just do a reset, which I don't want to, because it took me quite a few hours to install softwares and setup environment

OP
unruledboy

unruledboy

Tried sfc/scannow, tried DISM, finally tried reset the machine, worked for the first start, restarting/shutdown and back to same problem.

I am desperate.

I think I have to bring it back to MS

Xiaowei

In System:

In Apllication:

I am having the same issue, very annoying.
Can you help me?