What's new

BSOD Video scheduling error with external display

neurohax

I have a repeatable BSOD and wondering if anyone has a better work around.

Setup: SP3 i7/512, Win10 x64 (all updates, no manual driver installs), 2 external monitors - 1st via displayport on SP3, 2nd via USB docking station (Plugable UD-3900 using DVI).

If I disable the built in display and restart, I get a BSOD before the lock screen (after the Surface screen) 100% of the time.

I don't use the built in display when docked, so I figured I could just disable it and free up resources. Also, when waking from sleep, sometimes the main external display (DP connected) will not turn on and I have to run through 2-3 restarts to get it detected again again (get an error that the config couldn't be saved if I try messing with the CP or Settings).

Workaround for now: Unplug the main external display when I restart, plug it back in after the lock screen is displayed.

This error occurs 100% of the time, and the workaround works 100% of the time.

Anyone have a similar problem that they found a solution for (manually install new Intel drivers, etc)? Any problems like this (disable built in, main external display) with other setups?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Its because using the USB Docking station your are using a DisplayLink Virtual Video Card, you better workaround is to make the DP Monitor as your primary monitor.

OP
N

neurohax

Its because using the USB Docking station your are using a DisplayLink Virtual Video Card, you better workaround is to make the DP Monitor as your primary monitor.

You misread. That's how I have it set up now - the primary display is the one connected to the miniDP. The secondary is the one connected to the USB video adapter. Also, the miniDP display is identified as #2, and the USB display as #3.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Try updating to the latest Intel Video Driver xx79 IIRC and get the latest DisplayLink driver after updating, but DisplayLink drivers are finicky...I switched to using an Accell Display Link MST Hub and driver 3 monitors off that, one 4K, and the SP3 and another 2K.

OP
N

neurohax

It might be the DisplayLink drivers, but I think it has to do partially with the bugs related to display detection failing after wake from sleep.

Anyhow, updated to the latest Intel Drivers, 4279, (DL drivers were up to date), and the behavior changed, but it is still broken. Now if I restart (even with the DL display off), the lock screen jumps back and forth between the built in and external display. If I log in, I immediately get the display driver crash window, but the whole system doesn't go down. Instead, explorer enters this weird, nebulous state where there are Vista looking window borders around what i assume is an error message, but Task Explorer identifies it as explorer. None of the task bar buttons work, and if I unplug and replug the display in, the taskbar appears 3/4 of the way up the screen and 90% to the right, then I get a blue screen (non-video, something like memory access error).

So, it appears they're working on something related, but things are still wonky. I've gone back to having all 3 screen active to see if the wake bug is still there (the main display - DP direct external - will remain black and cannot be detected until a restart, happens randomly).

minor update: Things have been relatively stable, but I have had 2 display driver crashes total in the last few days while playing games. Keeping the built in display on has prevented the BSOD at boot.

Last edited: