What's new

Backlight bleed and bright spots on all devices?

OP
Plantje

Plantje

Not trying to be blunt or anything, but edge light bleed is completely different from the bright spots that you and I experience. For example the bright spot that you see will be noticeable with a white background too. Perhaps even better! Edge light bleed in most cases occurs on a dark background only and especially when starting up.

I've had about 6 Surface 3 (non pro) devices that had a different screen issue. And it was always hard to convince customer support that it is different from some normal backlight bleed that is within acceptable limits and in most cases only visible during starting up.

With these kinds of bright spots one should suspect pressure from the back of the panel as much as pressure on the screen. That's perhaps why this only happens to devices with an LTE connection. Mine has it and a SP X has it too. And the Surface 3 devices that I had with similar but slightly different screen issues were also all LTE equipped devices.

Not trying to be blunt or anything, but edge light bleed is completely different from the bright spots that you and I experience. For example the bright spot that you see will be noticeable with a white background too. Perhaps even better! Edge light bleed in most cases occurs on a dark background only and especially when starting up.

I've had about 6 Surface 3 (non pro) devices that had a different screen issue. And it was always hard to convince customer support that it is different from some normal backlight bleed that is within acceptable limits and in most cases only visible during starting up.

With these kinds of bright spots one should suspect pressure from the back of the panel as much as pressure on the screen. That's perhaps why this only happens to devices with an LTE connection. Mine has it and a SP X has it too. And the Surface 3 devices that I had with similar but slightly different screen issues were also all LTE equipped devices.
Hi. I know that they are two different things. I just put the link to show that Surface Pro X also suffers from edge light bleeding. I know you were not being blunt.

Now, l have to deal with Microsoft directly. Will let you know how that turns out.

Well, I did get in touch with Microsoft and I have to admit that the process for returns is easy. Now, I have to ask myself if I can ignore the spot, or return it and get new one. My warranty ends on December 15, 2022.

OP
Plantje

Plantje

Return! Return! Return! Return! Return! Return!

My advise would be to return it :) If you have the warranty I would definitely opt for that! Returning is indeed fairly easy. And there also lies the problem to some extend. As mentioned before: I've owned 6 Surface 3 (non pro)'s I've owned 3 or 4 Surface Pro 2017 devices.
Time and again I had to send them back to get them replaced within warranty. That's what they arrange as long as it is within warranty. But it doesn't stop the problem from occurring!

I'd much rather have someone tell me what I am doing wrong so I can PREVENT it in future. And clearly, I must be doing something wrong, right? There's thousands and thousands of these devices out there and I would be the only one experiencing this?

Return! Return! Return! Return! Return! Return!

My advise would be to return it :) If you have the warranty I would definitely opt for that! Returning is indeed fairly easy. And there also lies the problem to some extend. As mentioned before: I've owned 6 Surface 3 (non pro)'s I've owned 3 or 4 Surface Pro 2017 devices.
Time and again I had to send them back to get them replaced within warranty. That's what they arrange as long as it is within warranty. But it doesn't stop the problem from occurring!

I'd much rather have someone tell me what I am doing wrong so I can PREVENT it in future. And clearly, I must be doing something wrong, right? There's thousands and thousands of these devices out there and I would be the only one experiencing this?
Will do! You gave the kick in the arse I needed. The warranty is there and I do need to use it.

You do raise some good questions.

Thanks a lot!

OP
Plantje

Plantje

And? Any updates? How did it go?

I am currently looking to replace my Surface Pro with an Android device. I still really love the Surface form factor and line up. I also really love what Microsoft is doing with Windows 11, so I am not sure yet. But it feels more and more like I am punishing myself using a Windows Surface Pro device....

Hi. I will wait a few more weeks. I am teaching an online class and the Surface Pro X SQ2 has the best camera and microphone. As soon as it is done, l will let you know.

At this point, if you feel an Android device works better for you, go for it. I love the Surface line as well. Will have to think about if l will stick with it in the future.

Turbo4AWD

Interesting how this issue is still ongoing. Here I am getting ready to upgrade to a Surface Pro 8 and give this Surface Pro 6 to my wife to use as her personal computer.

I doubt an Android device could ever replace a Windows desktop OS device, but hey...

Well, I am shipping my Surface Pro X SQ2 back tomorrow (July 6, 2022). I had to hold on to it because I was giving classes online and needed that great camera and those wonderful studio microphones. Will tell you how it all goes in the end.

I love this device and I know that it is not for everyone.

Cheers,

Shawn