What's new

Windows 11 - No Hibernate After Sleep Setting?

DavidZ

I have my SP4 (Win 10) set up to hibernate after 5 minutes of sleep. I can't find this setting on my SP8 (Win 11). My SP8 does eventually hibernate after sleep, but I don't know how long it has to sleep before it hibernates.

Does anyone know where to find this setting in Windows 11?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have my SP4 (Win 10) set up to hibernate after 5 minutes of sleep. I can't find this setting on my SP8 (Win 11). My SP8 does eventually hibernate after sleep, but I don't know how long it has to sleep before it hibernates.

Does anyone know where to find this setting in Windows 11?
The Legacy Power Control Panel is still available, access via Windows File Explorer

1635947067202.png

1635947155944.png

OP
D

DavidZ

Mine doesn't have that option. It has "sleep after" rather than "hibernate after." See below.
Screenshot Control Panel  Advanced Settings.jpg

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Confusing.

In Hibernate Mode, Windows saves any open documents and rolls open apps to the hard disk rather than RAM. All other power aspects of Sleep Mode and Hibernate Mode are the same. I wonder if Windows 11 has combined the two. The performance of Sleep Mode on my SB2 with Windows 11 indeed opens documents and apps like Edge upon restart similar to how Hibernate would with Windows 10.

But Windows 11 seems to have had an additional mode, which is now missing. I found this interesting discussion about Hybrid Sleep, which states is the default for desktops, in Windows 11: How to Turn On Hybrid Sleep on Windows 11 - Website for Students

OP
D

DavidZ

Confusing.

In Hibernate Mode, Windows saves any open documents and rolls open apps to the hard disk rather than RAM. All other power aspects of Sleep Mode and Hibernate Mode are the same. I wonder if Windows 11 has combined the two. The performance of Sleep Mode on my SB2 with Windows 11 indeed opens documents and apps like Edge upon restart similar to how Hibernate would with Windows 10.

But Windows 11 seems to have had an additional mode, which is now missing. I found this interesting discussion about Hybrid Sleep, which states is the default for desktops, in Windows 11: How to Turn On Hybrid Sleep on Windows 11 - Website for Students
Yes, it's very confusing.

The reason I like Hibernate Mode is that it doesn't use up the battery. I like it to sleep for a short period of time before it hibernates. I find that I often have an afterthought soon after I hit the power button. If it's in sleep mode, it comes right up. If it's in Hibernate Mode, it takes about 10 to 15 seconds, which is not a big deal, but I'd rather it didn't. That's how I have my SP4 set up.

The article you cited shows some Power Options that I don't have like "Allow Hybrid Sleep" and "Hibernate after." Why would that be?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
It appears the Windows 11 developers included some Hibernate Mode options early on, but have removed them in the latest versions.

OP
D

DavidZ

It appears the Windows 11 developers included some Hibernate Mode options early on, but have removed them in the latest versions.
Do you think they'll add these options back later? I presume that the only reason they would remove them would be because they are having issues that they are working on to resolve.

macmee

im sorry to bump this but I have the same question now where my device seems to auto hibernate in sleep after some unknown time has passed. Is there really no setting for this?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Indeed, the ability to adjust when and if the hibernate mode starts is missing from Windows 11.
Screenshot 2022-08-18 083120.jpg

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You can set it still using the CMD Line or PowerShell - (use an elevated prompt)

powercfg on -h

This has reestablished the Hybrid S0iX and Hibernation on my Surface Devices