What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Start Menu and side fly-out for PC Settings gets delayed when your computer is still trying to satisfy Store and OneDrive services. It seems that excessive manual restarts makes it worse, and could cause some scripts to fail. Be patient.

This is how your result should look:

Screenshot (36).png

@Arobs45 ,

My MSN apps work just fine.
Visit the Store and search for "MSN" and show all. Then, slect each App in turn, and Install, regardless of whether you think they already are installed.

If this does not work, perhaps there is a language problem with the software.

Screenshot (40).png

Screenshot (37).png

Screenshot (39).png

Use Windows 10 on my SP3 and only use it with touch interface, no issues at all. If your fingers don't work, pick up the pen. I keep trying to go back to Windows 8 but Windows 10 is leaps and bounds ahead of it.
Beta testing is bound to have it's issues, but I totally agree about Onedrive and can only hope for a fix.

We have differing opinions of how well W10 and touch on small screens works. I can live with that. I'll stick with W8.1 for the time being as it fits me well.
And yes, beta testing does have its issues, but this late in the cycle it should be a bit better imo. Unfortunately MS has been adamant about how they are going to approach OneDrive, and it is the way it is in W10 going forward. They've not budged from that position despite the plethora of complaints about it in many forums.

I find OneDrive, and its implementation with Windows 10, to be very good. I use OneDrive with Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 3, OS X on a MacBook, Windows 10 on a MacBook, and two family iPhones. My entire photo library syncs with OneDrive. Besides that, I access OneDrive online from other machines while traveling. Just today, I created a picture folder, copied about 100 images into it, then shared the folder with a friend, also giving them edit access.

My software install sets, desktop backgrounds, icons, bookmarks, and shortcuts are also on OneDrive.

I like iCloud, too. Microsoft is about 20 minutes ahead of Apple on this one. ;) Close race.

Note: I keep all OneDrive files backed up to an external hard drive. When I configure a new machine, I give it a head start by copying those files from the drive to the computer. Then, OneDrive only takes about 10 minutes to report 'Up to date'.

It isn't that OneDrive doesn't work, it does and quite well as you notice. It is the way that it is presented in W10. Only those files that are synced and available locally as well as at OneDrive show up in the OneDrive folder. And no OneDrive app that made getting/opening a file so easy. In order to get to the files that are online only you have to go to the website for OneDrive. I find that unacceptable.

Here's something odd.

I installed a trial version of Office 2013 Outlook. This replaced my 2007 version. Now every time I try to send mail to my "mail.[mywebsite].biz" server, I get a "Trusted Certificate" violation.

What's happening here?

Use Windows 10 on my SP3 and only use it with touch interface, no issues at all. If your fingers don't work, pick up the pen. I keep trying to go back to Windows 8 but Windows 10 is leaps and bounds ahead of it.

Having used 10 for so long now, upon starting to use my new surface 3 (and it's inability to run 10 properly) I am actually rather annoyed. 8.1 just seems like a complete dinosaur compared to windows 10 regardless of its issues, and is not really a very pleasant experience now i'm used to 10's features. Can't wait for MS to sort it out.

Here's something odd.

I installed a trial version of Office 2013 Outlook. This replaced my 2007 version. Now every time I try to send mail to my "mail.[mywebsite].biz" server, I get a "Trusted Certificate" violation.

What's happening here?
Outlook 2013 protocols are re-ordered, and less likely to be tracked /hacked. Your email provider may need a different setting. So check your outgoing mail settings, especially the port. If IMAP, your SMTP port may be 25 or 587. Also try None or SSL or TTL or Auto. Also, the outgoing server may need the same login as incoming (username and password) without stating them again. Let me know...

It isn't that OneDrive doesn't work, it does and quite well as you notice. It is the way that it is presented in W10. Only those files that are synced and available locally as well as at OneDrive show up in the OneDrive folder. And no OneDrive app that made getting/opening a file so easy. In order to get to the files that are online only you have to go to the website for OneDrive. I find that unacceptable.
I totally agree, the new way of using Onedrive is a joke. Their excuse that it confused people is even more laughable. I fell in love with Onedrive when using Windows 8, except for how slow it is. There is no reason they could not or should not make it the way it was. Turn the online only ones different colors or put them in their own tab saying online only. Having to go to a stupid website to see my offline files is beyond annoying when I have used it the other way. Maybe if enough insiders will speak up, they will change it back or create an idiot proof way so it doesn't confuse the masses.

Last edited:
Okay, well then, after a bit more time with 10130, here are the issues that continue to plague my SP3 (and mostly not my desktop, which is much more stable):
  1. The Start screen is a mess. Periodically, I'm unable to add new tiles and have to reboot in order to do so. Drag-and-dropping tiles sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. And, my tiles randomly change size and position.
  2. Explorer.exe crashes fairly consistently when returning to the SP3. I say "returning to," because it's not simply waking up from sleep. Even if the screen is just off, chances are I'll be unable to access the system tray icons. It's nice that Windows 10 has a restart button for explorer.exe in the Task Manager, because I'm using it all the time now. I should add that this happens occasionally on my desktop, but not so often and consistently. Note also that if I give it enough time, it sometimes recovers on its own (but sometimes doesn't).
  3. The inability to access settings and app commands in universal apps in tablet mode is a deal-breaker. Funny that Microsoft mentioned adding back the swipe-down gesture, when that's one thing that's conspicuously not working.
  4. This isn't a "problem," per se, but I don't like the hidden controls in the Start screen (accessed via the hamburger icon). If anyone knows how to turn that off, please let me know. It's irritating to have to click to open the list of apps, power, settings, etc., especially when I'm fighting with placing tiles.
I'm looking forward to Microsoft locking down features and getting in bug-squashing mode. With less than two months remaining until RTM, it's time to focus on making this thing more reliable. If we beta testers (some of us obviously experienced at it) are getting frustrated, imagine how the general population of users would react.

1. This isn't a "problem," per se, but I don't like the hidden controls in the Start screen (accessed via the hamburger icon). If anyone knows how to turn that off, please let me know. It's irritating to have to click to open the list of apps, power, settings, etc., especially when I'm fighting with placing tiles.

Fully agree with this one. I don't like it at all, but given it's a beta preview and I find myself frequently visiting settings to look at this or change that, it is annoying not to just have the link right there in the start menu. Maybe it's just another stubborn push to convince us that tiles are the way forward; although that doesn't work very well given your point no. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back