What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry about your fan noise. It seems like you've had that forever. Are you sure it isn't you SP or some irresponsible application that might be causing it. I haven't seen others talking about the same problem.

Little point mentioning it unless you have irrefutable statistics proving most people don't experience it. :p

Sigh, been on 10122 for about a full 24 hours now and I'm back to pretty much non-stop fan even when my rig isn't hot. If this thing blows any harder I'm gonna call it Sally and marry it.

We used to call her cockeyed Jenny - and you didn't have to marry her :)

Sorry about your fan noise. It seems like you've had that forever. Are you sure it isn't you SP or some irresponsible application that might be causing it. I haven't seen others talking about the same problem.

Actually two other users discussed this fan issue recently and went back to 8.1 as a result. I have practically no fan under 8.1 and unless W10 is using some hardware 8.1 did not (unlikely in the extreme), I don't think this is a hardware defect. It's been shown over and over that W10 Preview has the interesting ability to affect everyone's machines differently.

I think the more likely explanation is that since W10 Preview is a beta, it's running lots of debugging crap in the background that doesn't necessarily appear in the Task Manager and for whatever reason, this combines with my software environment to make the fan blow, or maybe God is just punishing me for being so incredibly good looking, hard to say. :)

Build 10122 works great on my MacBook. I get an apple and an orange in one box.

I hear you, but I'm leaving my MacBook as a pristine OS X machine for writing/testing/etc. And I have Win10 on my desktop running quite nicely, so can use it there to good effect.

I thought that that was a fair indication as well but apparently not.

Unless you assume that the tiny sample of users here is somehow representative of the thousands (or more) running W10 Preview. :) People forget that the universe of those actually commenting in a thread such as this is incredibly small and statistically meaningless. Of course it's not without value, but I wouldn't use it to predict marketwide trends.

Right now, my fan has gone silent. Who knows?

Unless you assume that the tiny sample of users here is somehow representative of the thousands (or more) running W10 Preview. :) People forget that the universe of those actually commenting in a thread such as this is incredibly small and statistically meaningless. Of course it's not without value, but I wouldn't use it to predict marketwide trends.

Neither would I. But none the less it is a good indicator. And not to mention people typically tend to post problems, not a lack of problems.

Don't forget - lots of processing until OneDrive, Store, DropBox, and other cloud services are done.

Some people will get a fan and poor response until then.

Don't forget - lots of processing until OneDrive, Store, DropBox, and other cloud services are done.

Some people will get a fan and poor response until then.

I think the issue Mitch has goesfar beyond simpole sync work. Seems to have been persistent from day one (granted he seems to revert to 8.1 every other day, but most on this forum seem to have had no fan issues following sync and updating etc.

Ok. I take back the sleep button workaround to the black screen. Just had this happen to me again. Apparently it's only when I disconnect the keyboard and the system goes to Continuum where this bug comes about. Seriously a pain. Coupled with the black picture password, I'm almost to the point of going back to 8.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back