What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been lurking around this thread for a couple of months now. I'ts obviously the most active thread within the SP3 arena. I have a question. Is it all worth it? In what ways does win-10 perform better than win-8.1. I've had my 15-128 since mid January 2015 and I'm extremely pleased with the hardware and the OS. Is win-10 going to be better? And, if it is better, what are the areas of improvement?

323821Sanstitre.png

to be 100% sure rundll32 must be run from system32/cmd after 10122 prompts 4 restart. Tried 14 times then this got it 1st time

Did a clean install of 10074--easy for me, because I store everything in OneDrive and can easily blow away the SP3 and start from scratch. Installed the latest (5/1) driver pack (still show a PCI communications device without drivers), and running the update. Sitting right now at 18%/62%, think it might end up failing. So, I'll try the driver clean fix after kicking off the update again.

Wow. What a complete and utter pain in the arse. If this one doesn't take, I think I'll go back to Win8.1 for now until a better build is released.

Ran command
Code:
rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN

Then did the update.

Working wonderfully with 10122. Nothing missing. Overall response a bit faster. Transparency on Start Menu and Taskbar improved. Large icon labels not quite crisp, but I like them nonetheless.

Be sure to visit the Store. Seems to speed up the refreshing of apps.

Screenshot (4).png

Screenshot (6).png

Screenshot (5).png

Screenshot (2).png

Last edited:
So now mine hits 18% and automatically reboots and reverts

Apparently the new Build has an insufficient file index during install (risk of too many items).

Did you run this command to overcome that?
Code:
rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN

Working wonderfully with 10122. Nothing missing. Overall response a bit faster. Transparency on Start Menu and Taskbar improved. Large icon labels not quite crisp, but I like them nonetheless.

Be sure to visit the Store. Seems to speed up the refreshing of apps.

I'm glad it's working great for you.

Another thing missing is the picture password. When I swipe up the lockscreen, i'm getting a black picture next to the avatar pane. I have to select password input and then picture again to have my picture password appear.
Another thing happened to me earlier when I disconnected the keyboard and the tablet screen went off. I couldn't wake the device. I had to hold the power down to reboot. It wasn't off either as the haptic Windows key was working.

Holding SP3 right now in tablet mode. Watch some embedded youtubes, fan is cranking full blast and the back of the tablet is literally burning my hand. Have no idea why W10 makes tablet so damned hot in tablet mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back