What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ouch, I presume you didn't make an external USB recovery drive for your surface when you first purchased it? I think there was a downloadable one laying around somewhere, maybe even on this forum. Let me look around.

Nope. Never been the kind to do any backups etc. I've got the iso almost downloaded and a memory stick at hand so all should be well.

I've got backups and backups of backups, and backups to onedrive and backups to my personal NAS. I'm paranoid and I'm in IT. I see lost data every day and ask the same question that I asked you.... Where's your backup. :) I guess I don't have to tell you what most folks' answer is....

Oh, I pit all important data on a USB stick so that I could do the fresh install, but never do system backups. On my SP3 my documents folder is important, one note is already online, and everything else can happily be wiped.

Okay, going to do a clean install of 10074. Can't remember: are all the drivers included in that build, or do I need to install the driver pack?

Gabe just posted another potential fix.

@GabeAul: SP3 users who are getting rolled back on upgrade to 10122, try from
CMD:

Code:
rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN

pretty much same as the other one.

I need users like you, or at least users who do NOT save their data on their C/D drives. We give them a home drive to store data, it's on a nas with rollback capability, we also back that up every night, and they still insist on saving data on c/d drives. Sad they only ever learn after they've lost that report they've spent 16 hours on. We've even defaulted the system image to point to their home drive and they still override it. We had a lady store every document on her desktop "so she could find it" and was upset when she lost it all.... they even get training every year on this... I've been in IT support since 1987 and users never change..... :(

Maybe it's because I just did the update within the last few hours but I'm basically just surfing the web and I could fry an egg on the back of this thing. Fan not blowing too hard but definitely running hot.

Microsoft got this part spot on. :)
Unfortunately, almost all of the restarts were due to a failed Build install.

restart.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back