What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
And now i have to re-do all my favourite pens. Bit annoying. Not to mention the inking issue with onenote 2013 means that unless i fancy repeatedly writing the same sentence, then MUI onnote is the only way to go (which is annoying as in landscape a third of the screen is taken up with the notes panel.

With regard to a new version of MUI onenote, i don't have one, exactly as it's always been other than the inking is no a bit fubar.

And while some have no issue using the search button on the taskbar, i hate it, i like to be able to do as i've always done, and just type in an app name etc if it's not already on my top apps displayed in the start menu. It just doesn't work for me, start button doesn't activate the search bar, it activates the start menu, where ther was always a field you could instantly start searching for, and i don't take this whole "get used to it" argument, that's why windows 8 was such a flop in the first place, removing features that people were used to and wanted and just telling them to get over it. But you say i had better get used to it, you seem confident in it not changing. I don't agree with this.

And i also see what people are saying about battery, my device went from 80% to 30% in 45 minutes somehow without even using the thing. Hopefully it sorts itself out, i do enjoy 10 compared to 8 :)

I'd recommend using OneNote in full screen.

The new search needs work - Cortana is just slow and the speech recognition was horrendous. I'm sure they will sort it.

I'd recommend using OneNote in full screen.

The new search needs work - Cortana is just slow and the speech recognition was horrendous. I'm sure they will sort it.

I do. This is onenote MUI i'm talking about. My prior experience is now worthless, just fired it up and it's now only allowing me to run the new beta. even worse than before. Fix WDI already microsoft!

Surely there is a way of hiding all this crap and making it full screen? This new UI makes onenote pretty much worthless to me when the majority of the screen is being wasted. I loved onenote 2013 because it really could be full screen.
onenote.JPG

Good news. The beta gives an error message saying user can't do this.

Yep, I installed the version which was able to work with the previous build, but as they say, it doesn't work properly with the january build.

edit: Despite the error message the installer gives, Aero Glass seems to be installed. Though, the plugin definitely doesn't work well.

Just had an update (aka KB3035129) on my Win 10. No idea what it does.

Edit: here what it does :

Improvements
This update rollup includes a collection of improvements:
  • Reliability improvements for virtual machine live migrations
  • Reliability improvements to prevent some system crashes in SettingsSyncHost.exe
  • Reliability improvements to prevent possible data corruption
  • Increased power efficiency to extend battery life
  • A fix for an issue that prevents the new Store (Beta) from appearing on the taskbar
  • A fix for an issue that could cause users to remain at the "Please Wait" screen when attempting to sign in with a Smart Card connected
  • A fix for an issue that could cause virtual machines (VMs) to lose connectivity to virtual hard drives (VHDs)
  • A fix for an issue that could cause error 0x8E5E05E2 when installing apps
  • A fix for an issue that could cause a delay when opening a new tab in Internet Explorer
  • A fix for an issue that could cause the system to fail to resume from sleep when connected to multiple monitors with some graphics drivers
  • A fix for an issue that could cause the Start Menu to be improperly registered and fail to launch
  • A fix for an issue that prevents launching XBOX Live enabled games that require sign-in, and would incorrectly result in the message, "To use this app, you need to sign in with the Microsoft account that was used to download it."
  • A fix for an issue that could present the user with the incorrect End-User License Agreement (EULA) during upgrade

more details here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3035129

Last edited:
Not only @jnjroach

Also battery life improvement (we'll see by how much quickly considering that I kill my battery in 4h) and a lot of little things fixed !

Edit: @jnjroach apparently nothing related to security in IE.

Last edited:
I got the new OneNote after I updated my Preview build to 9926. You're not really missing much. As a matter of fact, the general consensus is that the new build is only partially finished. It lacks quite a bit of what the last OneNote MUI had and certainly not anywhere near the 2013 desktop version of OneNote.

Aha, that's probably it: you have to upgrade a previous Win10 build to get the new version. Makes some sense, finally, thanks.

And I hear you re: the new version. Good thing is, I've been using OneNote 2013 anyways so it doesn't really matter to me. Incidentally, is it weird that the best touch-based OneNote is the iOS version? Yes, I think it is...

Huh, interested in seeing how solid this is. My Start Button completely failed earlier today so I threw up my hands and went back to 8.1. Kind of buggy for a daily driver at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back