What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has to do with Windows 10. On Windows 8, I have no problem whatsoever with Chrome. With Windows 10, opening Chrome is ok for a few minutes, then the the Surface becomes really hot, the fan starts running at max. speed and the battery drains to empty in 1.5 hours.

Does this every time, I've tested it a lot with previous builds. There are no problems with Firefox. But since Firefox sucks otherwise these days, I will stay in Windows 8 until Chrome works on 10.

It has to do with Windows 10. On Windows 8, I have no problem whatsoever with Chrome. With Windows 10, opening Chrome is ok for a few minutes, then the the Surface becomes really hot, the fan starts running at max. speed and the battery drains to empty in 1.5 hours.

Does this every time, I've tested it a lot with previous builds. There are no problems with Firefox. But since Firefox sucks otherwise these days, I will stay in Windows 8 until Chrome works on 10.

Then you've something else going wrong. Chrome is a battery killer be it windows 10 or windows 8.1

here is one of maybe a gazillion articles you will find on the issue

http://www.geek.com/microsoft/google-chrome-will-stop-draining-your-laptop-battery-soon-1599550/

Your device getting hotter on windows 10 than on 8.1 does nothing to change the fact that chrome is a battery killer no matter which OS you are using. Everything is hotter on my sp3 than on 8.1. they are two different issues though.

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
I tried this and then tried to run Reader, which took me to the Store, which told me I needed to reinstall. I attempted that, but it stops right after downloading and the only message I get is, "Try that again". So I do, a few times, and still it doesn't work.

Thanks for trying though.

I tried this and then tried to run Reader, which took me to the Store, which told me I needed to reinstall. I attempted that, but it stops right after downloading and the only message I get is, "Try that again". So I do, a few times, and still it doesn't work.

Thanks for trying though.

You may need to reboot first before doing that. I failed to mention that, even tho it's something I always do. :)

I can also get you a powershell script that you can use to UNINSTALL any universal/modern app. You'll have to enable running scripts and you need to be careful. It won't have any safety encoded into it, which means you can UNINSTALL even the app store and you won't be able to get it back........ If you all want, I can zip it up and share it, but NOT my responsibility if you force uninstall something that really breaks your system. ;)

here.
Download, unzip to a folder

enable powershell script running. (google if you don't know how), run powershell as admin or powershell ISE as admin, run the script. It'll give you a list of all the apps installed, scroll up and find the one you want GONE, type the number and go. There is no backup, no recovering, so use at your own risk, however, it's a very powerful tool.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z78pkmc9og6r3g4/RemoveWindowsStoreApp.zip?dl=0

Chrome used to be a battery killer, but they've fixed it, a lot of it, so that it no longer is on 8.1. But it is now again in 10.

It does require hugely more resources than Firefox, that's a fact, yes.

Mine drains just as much battery as it always has. Typically using 2x the cpu as IE on my surface 3. If they have fixed it though, you know who fixed it? google. MS had nothing to do with chrome. So if it is still draining cpu in windows 10 it is again, becauise of google, not Microsoft. Microsoft can do nothing about it.

How are microsoft responsible for google poor coding or have the ability to do anything about it? this is not a windows 10 issue, this is a google being lazy buggers issue. It occuring on win 10 and not win 8.1 (for you) has nothing to do with it being a windows issue, it is a google issue. It's very simple.

Mine drains just as much battery as it always has. Typically using 2x the cpu as IE on my surface 3. If they have fixed it though, you know who fixed it? google. MS had nothing to do with chrome. So if it is still draining cpu in windows 10 it is again, becauise of google, not Microsoft. Microsoft can do nothing about it.

How are microsoft responsible for google poor coding or have the ability to do anything about it? this is not a windows 10 issue, this is a google being lazy buggers issue. It occuring on win 10 and not win 8.1 (for you) has nothing to do with it being a windows issue, it is a google issue. It's very simple.

Agreed. Chrome definitely runs hotter on my Win 10 install than 8,. but I blame Google for that, not MS.

It shouldn't, if you go to install 6/23 again you should see the installer asking if you want to remove/repair and not install

make sure rotation lock is off, it is defaulting to on in these newer builds
My rotation lock is grayed out to on and I can't change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back