What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't Onenote free?

I know that desktop onenote 2013 is free (not sure if it is the full package or slightly trimmed down). But i don't really see free 2016 onenote as an answre. I don't want to have to deal with two seperte UI's etc. I just want my nice functional office suite to work, as it should, as wel#ve been told it will. Not use one thing from 2013, then a different from 2016 etc. I don't think i'm being that unreasonable am I?

If MS cannot even get their own software to migrate to 10 without issues, it really doesn't send the best message.

Hi. Please for advice. I have two partitions on my Surface 3. On the first - Windows 8.1 and on the second partition - Windows 10. Because soon will be release Windows 10 RTM I would like skilfully to return to one partition with Windows 10 only. How to do it without mistakes ?

Folks, if you run this command in an admin powershell after you install a new preview release, it'll clean up and fix most universal/modern app issues.

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Keep in mind, this will clean up and reset all of the modern apps to default. EX: any logins gone, edge favorites, gone, the works.

It's worth it tho, makes nearly every app work fine. For those of you with app close issues, this may fix most of them (Except the people app) Can't promise anything on the crappy Tapatalk app. That app has always had issues and the developers don't care. :( If you aren't using the iphone or android version of it, you're a 2nd class user.

I know that desktop onenote 2013 is free (not sure if it is the full package or slightly trimmed down). But i don't really see free 2016 onenote as an answre. I don't want to have to deal with two seperte UI's etc. I just want my nice functional office suite to work, as it should, as wel#ve been told it will. Not use one thing from 2013, then a different from 2016 etc. I don't think i'm being that unreasonable am I?....

I guess I've just grown used to that. As a Mac user we get mis-matched versions. We still have Office 2011 with a newer OneNote. I don't notice any compatibility issues between Office and OneNote, since they aren't the same version. But, that's not to say there may not be differences with the new Office 2015 when it releases. I'll have to try my Office 2013 on my SP3 and see if I run into any issues.

@hughlle OneNote is a free program, 2016 OneNote is not listed on the MS site yet for free as it isn't final yet

My point being i do not want to have to learn two different interfaces. While i may not like the ribbon, i like that i can go from word to onenote to whatever and know that it will be a consistent experience. The same reason i put the 10 preview on my S3. I did not like using win 10 on one device then have to remember that i'm on win 8 on the other and have to do things accordingly. Wasn't one of Microsofts biggest goals with windows 10 the single experience for all platforms, from phone to console to computer, instead of having one OS for one thing and something different for another.

Just tried installing the 2016 preview to see what it's like. Nope. Not allowed until i uninstall my copy of 2013 first (cannot have 64 bit and 32 bit versions of office installed at the same time.)

My point being i do not want to have to learn two different interfaces. While i may not like the ribbon, i like that i can go from word to onenote to whatever and know that it will be a consistent experience. The same reason i put the 10 preview on my S3. I did not like using win 10 on one device then have to remember that i'm on win 8 on the other and have to do things accordingly. Wasn't one of Microsofts biggest goals with windows 10 the single experience for all platforms, from phone to console to computer, instead of having one OS for one thing and something different for another.

Just tried installing the 2016 preview to see what it's like. Nope. Not allowed until i uninstall my copy of 2013 first (cannot have 64 bit and 32 bit versions of office installed at the same time.)
Pitfalls of beta testing

Well ... no ... there is one other option.

You could BUY a copy of Office 2016.

Pirating is frowned upon.

I'm not willing to go and buy an expensive piece of software because microsoft broke the software i already own and havn't/can't fix it. Maybe they need to offer it as a free upgrade like with windows 10. that will be yet anotther PR disaster if onenote users are forced to buy office 2016 just to get real functionality from onenote. that or users simply will not upgrade to 10. Desktop onenote is pretty much the most important thing on thi device for me, so if 2013 still doesn't work come august then my options will be to not use windows 10 or just pirate a version of office 2016. MUI onenote is utterly worthless for anything more than a quick note. Organising and such on there is just laughable, let alone the utter and complete lack of any tools or features.

Well ... no ... there is one other option.

You could BUY a copy of Office 2016.

Pirating is frowned upon.

So having bought a copy of 2013, and being told that all your programs and apps will work on win 10, i then have to go and buy a copy of 2016 as well just so i can run office properly on 10? That seems like a logical way to go about keeping your customers happy. I can most likely get over it, i'm someone happy to play on beta software for a year. How do you think average joe is going to react when his paid for software doesn't work as advertised and the response is just pay up for the new version.

Which versions of Microsoft Office work on Windows 10?

The following versions of Microsoft Office with the latest Service Packs have been confirmed to be compatible with Windows 10:

Older versions of Office such as Office 2003 and Office XP are not certified compatible with Windows 10 but might work using compatibility mode.

Hence why i'm enquiring as to whether inking under 2013 is fixed yet, because i'm pretty sure trading standards might frown upon deceiving your customers into buying a product under false pretences. I will reserve judgement for release, but right now, office 2013 is not compatible with windows 10 so long as i cannot use onenote properly on it. Not like i'm surprised though, the s3 was compatible with all and any usb chrgers and battery packs... riiiiiiight.

In 10162, is the Chrome related battery drain & constantly running fan issue already fixed?

Chrome battery drain has nothing to do with what verion of windows you are running. It is up to google to fix that, but they clearly couldn't care about non android mobile devices. Story of windows tablets life it seems, (as said earlier, if you're not android or ios you're a second class citizen).

As to the fan, i still get the fan kicking in for no reason here and there, but it's certainly improving build on build. Definately not as quiet as when on 8.1 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back