What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if this has been covered before, but is there a way to add "this pc" to the taskbar instead of file explorer? I could not give two ****s about recent files or frequent folders, **** off already! :) I clicked file explorer because i wanted to gain instant access to my files, not some worthless list of files i opened once upon a time, or a folder i opened once, but is now utterly irrelevant to me.

What happens if you put the icon on the desktop first, and then try to add to taskbar? I'm not in front of my SP3 at the moment, can't check.

I don't know if this has been covered before, but is there a way to add "this pc" to the taskbar instead of file explorer? I could not give two ****s about recent files or frequent folders, **** off already! :) I clicked file explorer because i wanted to gain instant access to my files, not some worthless list of files i opened once upon a time, or a folder i opened once, but is now utterly irrelevant to me.
When I click on File Explorer on the taskbar or start menu I get My PC (window with all my drives).

What happens if you put the icon on the desktop first, and then try to add to taskbar? I'm not in front of my SP3 at the moment, can't check.

Just seems like something MS doesn't want me doing. I can't right click and select add to anything but quick access or start, not even an option to create a shortcut. Cannot create a shortcut manually on desktop either. However I was able to drag it to desktop and from there to taskbar. Just seems so odd that I have to take such a route to do such a simple thing that should be available by default.

@ScottyS on both s3 and sp3 through task bar or start file explorer always just opens to recent files and folders.

Just found that if I right click on quick access, and choose options, you can set file explorer to open this pc or quick access. So illogical to have it set to quick access by default.

Now to find out how to remove the quick access section from the left hand pane. It typically just shows a duplicate of folders like music and downloads. No need for quick access.

You can change File Explorer to open in This PC instead of the Quick Access items. Would that help? In File Explorer click View then Options.

Side note: On 10162 I notice that when I use the power button the SP3 will go back to the lock screen. But, when I just close the type cover and later hit the power to wake it, the SP3 is back at the desktop (no lock screen).

Just seems like something MS doesn't want me doing. I can't right click and select add to anything but quick access or start, not even an option to create a shortcut. Cannot create a shortcut manually on desktop either. However I was able to drag it to desktop and from there to taskbar. Just seems so odd that I have to take such a route to do such a simple thing that should be available by default.

@ScottyS on both s3 and sp3 through task bar or start file explorer always just opens to recent files and folders.

Just found that if I right click on quick access, and choose options, you can set file explorer to open this pc or quick access. So illogical to have it set to quick access by default.

Now to find out how to remove the quick access section from the left hand pane. It typically just shows a duplicate of folders like music and downloads. No need for quick access.

There are definitely some solutions for Win 8; Google it, and see if it works on Win 10 and let us know. I'll be trying it myself in a few hours... :D

...Just found that if I right click on quick access, and choose options, you can set file explorer to open this pc or quick access. So illogical to have it set to quick access by default.

Glad you found that. You can unpin those Quick Access items. I know there is a registry tweak to remove them, but don't recall it offhand.

Edit: Google "windows 10 quick access registry" and you will find a guide to edit the registry.

Last edited:
You can change File Explorer to open in This PC instead of the Quick Access items. Would that help? In File Explorer click View then Options....
Well that explains it. I've always had it set to This PC, I've never seen that Quick Access view before. It is annoying.

I don't know if this will help anyone with pining certain folders to their start menu or taskbar but this is what I have been doing to get direct access to folders on my start menu and taskbar.

First create a shortcut to you desktop->open it's properties->find the target area and type "explorer " in front of the one that is already there, make sure to include the space after explorer->Click OK. You can then right click it and add it to your start menu or drag it to your task bar
Capture.JPG

Have you tried a fresh install? I was completely unable to open photo viewer, just opened print instead. did a revert and then clean install and is working as it ought to now. People app is wotking just fine on my SP3
Nah, I'm just wary of a clean install with all the hassles.

Hey! Finally got build 162 on Sunday, I've only one issue- Reader app won't start- after launching it displays store page and states that "something went wrong"- I have option to reinstall it, sadly even clean install doesn't help. Anyone else has this problem? Any idea how to fix it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back