What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overall, I'm quite pleased with 10162. I think I'm here for the long haul now.

The only quirkiness I've noticed thus far:
  • Inability to activate, but that's because the MS activation service is down for a few days.
  • Live tiles don't work.
  • The Store shows updates available for MSN Travel and Reader, but they won't update.
  • PIN login isn't available and the fix provided earlier in this thread doesn't work for me (can't delete the files, not enough permissions).
Also, it looks like 10163 is coming soon... http://wzascok.livejournal.com/45217.html
Both the People app and live tiles are working for me. However, I'm on the Surface 3, not the Pro 3 (if that makes a difference).

the AutoLogin does not work on windows10 with a microsoft... does it?
I've unticked the "require passwort" in netplwiz.

P.S you can't take a screen shot of the login screen, can you?
It always requires a password at start-up, but from then on it doesn't. Is this what you're referring to?

Auto-login should work. The only time it doesn't work, is if your account is joined to a domain. I can't speak speak for Enterprise edition of Windows, and if you decide to enable Ctrl+Alt+Delete key combo at logon, as I never tried those setups.

Many apps still not opening in 162. People app and tapatalk among others. Any idea how to deal with this?

People works on my pc and SP3 and 830.

The new universal Tapatalk doesn't and it hasn't since it was released. Dev might need to update it for W10. Already left a review. Please do too so they'll work on it for us.

Hey you all ;)

I am looking desperately to re-enable the option to "Share to" emails (like in edge, or whatever app). It worked in 8.1, but does not appear any more (only OneNote, Reading List...).

Anyone would have an idea for that ?

Thank you SO much !

Note that I've been going through this thread, but with 305 and more pages, it becomes hard to be sure that the question was not answerd yet...

live tiles are working for me
Interestingly, the live tile for Calendar magically started working today. The Weather app still isn't working though.

Funny thing, today the leafblower is running and System is using around 20% of the CPU. All cloud drives are done syncing, so not sure what's up.

hmmm, weird.... why would "open with photo viewer" send you to print...

Have you tried looking here or resetting the defaults?
View attachment 6379

Did nothing. In the end I was to recovery, and it told me there was no option to revert, just refresh, and once again it surprises me. No matter what I delete and clean up via disk clean up, I yet again found that it reverted to windows 8.1 despite drive formats and such. Makes me wonder if win 8 and 10 are so similar under the hood that it is just able to change it from 10 to 8 or that there is some magic hidden recovery that is impossible to delete and will forever hold a copy of 8 (despite my disk space telling me there clearly isnt space for a hidden 20gb recovery drive unless there is a flash drive entirely separate to the 128gb one). Most peculiar.

Installed again over 8 instead of over 10, and all works just as it ought to.

Did nothing. In the end I was to recovery, and it told me there was no option to revert, just refresh, and once again it surprises me. No matter what I delete and clean up via disk clean up, I yet again found that it reverted to windows 8.1 despite drive formats and such. Makes me wonder if win 8 and 10 are so similar under the hood that it is just able to change it from 10 to 8 or that there is some magic hidden recovery that is impossible to delete and will forever hold a copy of 8 (despite my disk space telling me there clearly isnt space for a hidden 20gb recovery drive unless there is a flash drive entirely separate to the 128gb one). Most peculiar.

Installed again over 8 instead of over 10, and all works just as it ought to.

good! Glad you got it to work again. I was thinking that too, cause the preview agreement explicitly says that you will not be able to use your recovery partition... so either there must be some permanent 8.1 secret recovery or something...

good! Glad you got it to work again. I was thinking that too, cause the preview agreement explicitly says that you will not be able to use your recovery partition... so either there must be some permanent 8.1 secret recovery or something...

Exactly. That's all Ive ever read, windows 10 will overwrite your recovery. Yet I looked back at it and thought hey, that's an odd welcome message, telling me to reserve my windows 10 copy. Lo and behold it logged into 8.1. I'm just confused because it is a 128gb drive, and after clear ping disk solace and windows.old, I had exactly as much free space as I rightfully ought to have had without any recovery drives etc taking up space

Yeah, I went for it and am running it now. The only problem I'm running into so far is that it won't activate like others have said. So I guess I'll just ignore that and hope it gets resolved soon.

I'm about to do that as well, but I don't want to do a clean install at this point. Can you upgrade from 10130 via the 10162 ISO?

Since upgrading from 10130 to 10162 my SP3 had been freezing quite a bit while playing videos. Anyone else having this issue? Thinking about doing a clean install and seeing if that fixes it but have install windows a lot over the last few days and getting tired of resetting everything...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back