What's new

Which Surface Pro 3 should I buy?

InspectHerGadget

I found the i7 several times faster than my SP2. I didn't expect that much difference. Mind you my SP2 had the 4200 rather than the 4300 i5 in it.

It depends on not only money as if they all cost the same then the i7 would be the one everyone goes for, but also if you have any particularly sluggish/demanding applications.

Most people can get away withe i5 but I needed the i7.

castemic

Intel XTU.
342 vs 345 (i5 vs i7).

Even opening some applications or loading webpages... Same time. Sometimes i5 faster.

Really don't know if i7 IS 250€ worth

Aeron15

i5 256GB

I don't think you'll notice much difference with i7 256gb.
Plus, you'll probably upgrade when the awesome SP4 comes out.

OP
T

totom

I found the i7 several times faster than my SP2. I didn't expect that much difference. Mind you my SP2 had the 4200 rather than the 4300 i5 in it.

It depends on not only money as if they all cost the same then the i7 would be the one everyone goes for, but also if you have any particularly sluggish/demanding applications.

Most people can get away withe i5 but I needed the i7.

Well, after reading all those comments and castemics speed test I think I'll stick with the i5 version, it should be enough for my needs, thanks.
Intel XTU.
342 vs 345 (i5 vs i7).

Even opening some applications or loading webpages... Same time. Sometimes i5 faster.

Really don't know if i7 IS 250€ worth
If it's really just that bit of a difference I think I'll take the i5, thanks.

Khalamus

Hi Totom,

I bought my SP3 with the intention of replacing my laptop and have successfully done so with the i5 256Gb model. However, all I use a computer for is school related activities (writing essays, note taking, use of SPSS, a program used for statistical analysis), surfing on the internet, watching movies and listening to music.
Now, I'm pretty sure these things can be done with the i3 model but my thought process was that if I am about to spend money on a device that will replace my laptop and tablet, and I have the extra cash, I will just go with the upgraded version with some extra storage and hence my purchase of the i5 256gb instead of the i3 model. Also the 8gb ram is nice, I'm not sure if I will ever use it to and extend where the i3 would not have been able to do the same but hey, 8gb is 8gb.
To conclude, for school the i5 256gb will be more than enough! For CodeBlocks, VisualStudio and VirtualBox I am not to sure since I am not familiar with those programs but I have no problems with the programs I use for statistical analysis.
I would imagine that the i5 model will be great for your intentions but if you have the extra money to spend and do not mind spending it, go for the i7 model, you can't really go wrong.

To see how I have set up my study desk you can look at my post in a thread called: [PHOTO] album of your surface pro 3 desk set up. Here is the link:

Good luck, this is the difficult part of buying a device and I am glad I'm over it, haha.

/ Khalamus

Last edited:
OP
T

totom

Hi Totom,

I bought my SP3 with the intention of replacing my laptop and have successfully done so with the i5 256Gb model. However, all I use a computer for is school related activities (writing essays, note taking, use of SPSS, a program used for statistical analysis), surfing on the internet, watching movies and listening to music.
Now, I'm pretty sure these things can be done with the i3 model but my thought process was that if I am about to spend money on a device that will replace my laptop and tablet, and I have the extra cash, I will just go with the upgraded version with some extra storage and hence my purchase of the i5 256gb instead of the i3 model. Also the 8gb ram is nice, I'm not sure if I will ever use it to and extend where the i3 would not have been able to do the same but hey, 8gb is 8gb.
To conclude, for school the i5 256gb will be more than enough! For CodeBlocks, VisualStudio and VirtualBox I am not to sure since I am not familiar with those programs but I have no problems with the programs I use for statistical analysis.
I would imagine that the i5 model will be great for your intentions but if you have the extra money to spend and do not mind spending it, go for the i7 model, you can't really go wrong.

To see how I have set up my study desk you can look at my post in a thread called: [PHOTO] album of your surface pro 3 desk set up. Here is the link:

Good luck, this is the difficult part of buying a device and I am glad I'm over it, haha.

/ Khalamus
Thanks, I'll stick to the i5 8gig ;)

bearly

i5 8GB will be fine for your needs. I have the i5/4GB version and do some C++ development in Visual Studio 2012 and separately Android dev with Eclispe (also using Genymotion and VirtualBox) without any real problems. However, side by side with my old Alienware laptop (with quad core i7-4700MQ), the SP3 is a little sluggish and build times are that bit longer in VS2012. This is a very small price to pay for the absolutely superb form factor of the SP3.

OP
T

totom

i5 8GB will be fine for your needs. I have the i5/4GB version and do some C++ development in Visual Studio 2012 and separately Android dev with Eclispe (also using Genymotion and VirtualBox) without any real problems. However, side by side with my old Alienware laptop (with quad core i7-4700MQ), the SP3 is a little sluggish and build times are that bit longer in VS2012. This is a very small price to pay for the absolutely superb form factor of the SP3.
Thanks, then the decision is clear :)