What's new

Type Cover problems: Ghost keystrokes

PJJ

A few days ago, Type Cover on my SP4 developed a strange and annoying issue:

- some key strokes result in two letters popping up on the screen; for instance, pressing on 'i' key results in typing 'io', pressing on 'o' key results in typing 'oi'; there are other pairs, and not all are neighbouring keys: 'd' and 'f', 'm' and ',' or '5' and '=' (and perhaps more);

- on occasion, pressing one of these keys (or, any key, for that matter) results in SP4 going into Tablet Mode; a black 'AutoRotate On' message box pops up on the screen.

The only way to rectify the issue seems to be (A) go to Device Manager and uninstall Type Cover driver (ticking the box to delete the driver itself), (B) hard-reset SP4 (Power+Volume Up for 15 seconds), and (C) restart SP4 and let it reinstall the drivers.

Then, Type Cover works fine -- until it doesn't, and the procedure needs to be repeated... Oh, yes!: I did clean the connection between the Type Cover and tablet with alcohol.

So, this feels like a software glitch -- but why does it come back after just a few hours?

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just a thought - did someone perhaps spill something on your keyboard, or perhaps something got into it while in transport? I understand this wouldn't account for it working correctly during a re-installation / reset.

Additionally - have you had an opportunity to try another keyboard? One trick I have used in the past with other PC parts - Go into a store that has a liberal return policy - buy a brand new product, return your "bad product" and keep the brand new one. Sure, this isn't the most honest way to do things, but it has saved me thousands over the years since I work in the PC / IT repair / build / maintenance field. The only issue you might encounter trouble with is if the part has a serial number etc. However, the typecover does not to my knowledge.

Your issue sounds like a software glitch, but it just might be hardware related. I hope this helps somehow - please let us know if it does.

Regards,

Mike

OP
P

PJJ

Just a thought - did someone perhaps spill something on your keyboard, or perhaps something got into it while in transport? I understand this wouldn't account for it working correctly during a re-installation / reset.

Additionally - have you had an opportunity to try another keyboard? One trick I have used in the past with other PC parts - Go into a store that has a liberal return policy - buy a brand new product, return your "bad product" and keep the brand new one. Sure, this isn't the most honest way to do things, but it has saved me thousands over the years since I work in the PC / IT repair / build / maintenance field. The only issue you might encounter trouble with is if the part has a serial number etc. However, the typecover does not to my knowledge.

Your issue sounds like a software glitch, but it just might be hardware related. I hope this helps somehow - please let us know if it does.

Regards,

Mike

Thanks, Mike!

I do indeed remember spilling a bit of coffee with milk onto the Type Cover couple of days back. It wasn't a large spill at all, and I was very quick cleaning it with paper towel -- including gently forcing the paper edge under the keys to absorb whatever moisture got there. That said, considering (A) the odd 'ghosting pattern' of the keys... 'D' and 'F' are close to where the spillage happened, but not 'M' and ',' nor '5' and '='... and (B) the fact that hard reset seems to help (even though temporarily), I don't think it's the root cause of the problem.

As for your 'bad product exchange' suggestion: first, I wouldn't do that, and second, my SP4 is over a yer old, and the Type Cover is definitely showing that (so, it wouldn't fly with the shop).

Good news is that the 'key ghosting' issue has not manifested itself for the past 36 hours (i.e. since the last hard reset + driver re-installation). I will report back in a couple of days.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey to each their own on returning items. The store is only going to RMA, or get a free replacement from the manufacturer anyway so it's not as though your sticking it to anyone but the "man".

Over the last 3 decades I have replaced who knows how many keyboards and the story is always the same. "I only spilled water / juice / tea, and thoroughly cleaned it afterwards, I even used my hair dryer"...... If the circuitry (keyboard dependant) is damaged, it doesn't matter where you spilled it, a large array of keys can be effected . Oh.... One last thing.... When I use a suade brush and a little elbow grease - I can make my year old typecover look brand new. I used to do this when my machine was brand new (for at least the first 8 months).

Perhaps you'll got lucky, (let's definitely hope so) and your keyboard will stop malfunctioning..... But the moment you said something about spillage. Again, perhaps go buy a new one and "test" it out. If the problem reoccurs, then it's perhaps software related and you then return the "good" keyboard and get your $130+/- back. But I'm willing to bet, it's the keyboard. Take a look at the following link regarding keyboards. The web is full of stories like yours.

BEANTWORTET: Water spilled on keyboard and now rows of random keys arent working - Apple Keyboard

Please let us know how it turns out. I use this forum as a learning tool and I'm definitely interested in what the issue is. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: PJJ