What's new

thinking about buying a surface pro 3 have questions

kaitlin

hi new member here. im looking to buy a used surface pro device to mess around with, while laying in bed. my amazon kindle fire device finally bit the dust on me.
currently looking at a surface pro 3 with 4gigs ram 64gig msata and an i5-4300U i dont know much about these devices. price if it matters would be around 115-160 depending on ram ssd size etc
i dont need top of the line just wanna be able to browse youtube while in bed for the night
is there anything i should know before i buy one? also how easy are they to factory reset or upgrade in terms of the os
if it matters im on a limited income since im on disability and the surface pro 3 seems to be the cheapest when found used on ebay or other sites
also how reliable are these

just trying to educate myself before i buy one so that when it does arrive at my door im educated enough

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Honestly, the Surface Pro 3 is 8 years old and probably won't last that long/battery will be declining.

A new Amazon Fire HD 10 is $150, smaller sizes are even less expensive. I think for your stated purpose I'd stick with the Amazon tablets UNLESS you have some other specific need that the Amazon tablet doesn't fill.

Best Android Tablet for 2022

OP
K

kaitlin

Honestly, the Surface Pro 3 is 8 years old and probably won't last that long/battery will be declining.

A new Amazon Fire HD 10 is $150, smaller sizes are even less expensive. I think for your stated purpose I'd stick with the Amazon tablets UNLESS you have some other specific need that the Amazon tablet doesn't fill.

Best Android Tablet for 2022

id rather go surface pro 3 i can always keep it plugged in since i will be using it in bed also my amazon kindle i have now is super slow the pro 3 also has 8 gigs of ram compared to the Kindle 3 gigs in the 2021 model

i aldo dont like the ui of the kindle the pro 3 can have win 8 or win 10 both ops i enjoy using

Last edited:

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The Surface Pro 3 will certainly be running with Windows 11, not 8 or 10. And the machine is much more clumsy for watching Youtube videos. I recommend an Amazon Fire, Galaxy Tab, or Apple iPad.

Your original question included a query about reliability. The Surface Pro 3 requires more software maintenance and has more moving parts (keyboard, screen), so requires much more hardware maintenance as well. It is also heavier and likely more cumbersome than the other options mentioned above.

I hope this helps.