What's new

Surface team uses... Surface

wynand32

Although, I did sense a time travel paradox in that he seemed to be saying that his team used the Surface Pro 3 to design the Surface Pro 3. Um, er...

Seriously, though, I'd be shocked if they didn't use the SP3. Thermal management concerns aside, it's an incredible machine, as we all know. It should be MUCH more highly regarded in the industry--reviews have been generally good, but many people don't seem able to wrap their brains around what makes the machine so special. Maybe it's something you really have to use, not just in a store (although it makes a great first impression) or as a review unit.

TheCudder

A promotional video talking about how the development team use the device because it is that good. Hmmm. I'm sure there couldn't possibly be any shenanigans going on. That's like a video of a McDonalds executive eating a McDonalds burger. Doesn't mean bugger all.

We've seen images of MS employees using Apple products. Not to mention the Surface design team requires the ability to handle 3D modeling software. Pretty surprising and impressive being that the SP3 uses Intel HD for video.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's good, because hopefully it makes bugs more obvious, and they see for themselves what's good and bad, and how to improve it.

I don't know who it was, but on the reddit live Q&A with Panos Panay and the rest of the team, one of their engineers wrote a few thousand words about Wacom vs N-trig because people were worried about pressure sensitivity. Long story short, he concluded that one isn't better than the other, and it's all dependent on how they implement it.

It was really cool to see one of their engineers speaking so honestly, or at least it appeared honest, and helping to address one of my personal concerns.
Other than key bugs, like the WiFi, because they jumped straight into a docking system and never had to worry about it while hardwired into their work network. The idea of them using sp3s does not interest me in the slightest. They could use iPads all I care. All I care about is a good device, a functional one, and I could argue that they've created these using surface pros, and look at the bugs there are as a result

megatronium

We've seen images of MS employees using Apple products. Not to mention the Surface design team requires the ability to handle 3D modeling software. Pretty surprising and impressive being that the SP3 uses Intel HD for video.

My Surface Pro 3 is loaded with 3D apps that run well. ZBrush, Maya, Rhino, etc.

wynand32

Well, personally, I don't expect them to use SP3s exclusively. The right tool for the job and all that. My belief that the SP3 is a great general computing device isn't challenged by the fact that there are machines that are better at some tasks (and worse at others).

dstrauss

no way he can design the chassis for sp3 using sp3, it must be a joke :confused:

He said since the first Surface they have used "Surfaces" to design the "Surface" so I suppose it was a Surface 2 that was the host organism for Surface 3...;)

Deryl McCarty

He did say it was an i7...so I doubt that the team is just smelling the ambrosia. The core i3 would not do as well (or at all) running the modelling software, so they are, in fact, testing for themselves and experiencing for themselves the joys (i.e. trials and tribulations) of everyday sp3 use. And recall, their jobs are on the line and MS has already lost $1.7B on the Surface. So I have no problem at all with their using (even for free) Surfaces to design Surfaces - and then telling me about it as a marketing angle.