What's new

Upcoming Updates for the Surface Pro 3

Bandito

I, too, got the firmware update. It's still early, but it appears to be helping already. My WiFi is now connecting reliably at full speed to a nearby access point. The real test will be what it does when I get home. It should now prefer the 5 GHz network and should, hopefully, connect at a higher throughput rate. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Last night it was behaving especially badly in that it would connect to the WiFi network, but wouldn't get an IP address from the DHCP server. I messed with it for a while, but had to get to bed, so I gave up. When I got into the office this morning, it connected right up. Go figure!

raqball

A new issue for me is now when the screen is off pressing the windows button does not wake the device. If the screen has only been off for a brief time then pressing the windows button works. If it's been off for a while, it does not. By windows button I mean the one on the right side of the screen bezel.

OP
jnjroach

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
A new issue for me is now when the screen is off pressing the windows button does not wake the device. If the screen has only been off for a brief time then pressing the windows button works. If it's been off for a while, it does not. By windows button I mean the one on the right side of the screen bezel.
That is to prevent "Hot-Bag Syndrome" where the SP3 inadvertently wakes up in transit via the Windows Button.

r0b123

My SP3 is fubar after playing around with some boot options (my own fault). I'll re-install Win10 Build 9879 and hopefully get the new firmware being deployed today...

The changelog for the Surface Pro 3 update is significant, with more effort on Wi-Fi and a few other usage scenarios that could result in the device turning on.

Surface Pro UEFI update (v3.11.350.0)
  • Resolves scenarios where the device will boot to a black screen if McAfee Defense Encryption 7.1.1 is installed.
  • Optimizes the FWPOST time to 3.7 seconds with the fast boot enabled.
  • Prevents situations where system clock loses time when battery falls below 3%.
Surface Home Button driver update (v2.0.1174.0)
  • Along with the pen update below, this helps prevent scenarios where device may accidentally wake up from sleep while being stored or carried.
Surface Pen Settings driver update (v2.5.14.0)
  • Along with the home button driver update above, this helps to prevent scenarios where the device may accidentally wake up from sleep while being stored or carried.
Wireless Network Controller and Bluetooth driver update (v15.68.3066.135)
  • Enables better throughput after waking from sleep and connecting to an 802.11AC network.
  • Ensures Infra scan list is not empty while connected to a wireless display adapter.
  • Resolves an issue connecting to Cisco 1242 access points.
  • Ensures device reconnects properly to a hidden SSID using a 5Ghz DFS channel after waking from sleep.
  • Adds customer-requested functionality to prefer 5Ghz connections when both a 2.4ghz and 5ghz connection are present with the same SSID.

Demonaire

The latest firmware update reverted my HD5000 driver back to the March 3496 version again... Did that happen to anyone else too? Otherwise which version does this update give you?

bluegrass

Ah. They fixed the accidental waking up problem. Good.

The latest firmware update reverted my HD5000 driver back to the March 3496 version again... Did that happen to anyone else too? Otherwise which version does this update give you?

That's were mine is but I thought it always was that date. I clicked on update in device manager and it said it was up to date.

RémiM

If you've installed the driver from Intel's website, then you are experiencing a normal behavior, i.e. the version of the driver provided by MS is older than the one provided directly by Intel.

The latter is apparently better for gaming (cf. a topic concerning the game "the Sims"), but the differences for a non-gamer are not night and day.

You have to re-install manually the last version from Intel (IMO it is very boring to do so everytime MS pushes an update, so I keep MS version.)