What's new

Surface Pro 3 Kickstand/Hinge Concern

cob305

Even though this thread has been dead, I am stopping by to caution people that some stands do this at narrower angles than others. Why is this relevant? In my case, I set the tablet down on a short table - about the height of an ottoman - and it stood for a little under a minute before collapsing, tipping backwards, and falling onto the floor, CRACKING THE SCREEN!

I think it will be covered under warranty, as similar issues without the resulting damage have been covered. Still, I want to CAUTION everybody that this limpness may in fact become a problem. The "up to 150 degrees" pitch is not entirely accurate, mine can only stay stable from about 30 degrees onward

EDIT: I had a typo. Originally put in 40 degrees, but it's 30

Telstar1948

My kickstand was tight and didn't wobble at all when I first got it. Now, some 7 or 8 months down the road it wobbles. That hasn't caused a problem for its intended use. However, if I open my kickstand fairly wide and set it on a table, after while I'll note that the kickstand has extended out to its maximum on its own. Is there a way to tighten the kickstand, to tighten the friction on it?

cob305

AFAIK, you'll nred to replace the tension mounts. I'd call surface support and ask them for a recommendation.

Note: my and other loose kickstands HAVE BEEN COVERED under warranty. Yours may be different, but its worth investigating if you can Go without the device for a couple weeks

fletch33

i thought about this being an issue over time as well but i dis spend the extra $150 for the 2 year warranty and so i dont worry about anything but water knowing i wont still be using it in 2 years.

fletch33

Lucky for you;
Many countries weren't even given the option to pay for extended support/warranty.

i did not know that. sorry to hear that was not an option. i wonder why it would not be the same warranty for all? seems to me the more they sell the more they make.

Saul

Maybe because we already have 2-3 yrs guaranteed by consumer law in my country (Oz).
But we still miss out on a few extra perks, by not having the option to buy the extended supports offered in the US.

Joe Torres

I was curious about the same thing as far as it holding up over time. But that's also why I got the insurance protection. Either way I prefer the Surface hinge vs Lenovo yoga 11s that I had before this as the screen when touched would wobble too much.

Telstar1948

I'm not particularly concerned with the effect of the wobbly kickstand because once you set your SP3 down, it isn't wobbly and it stands solidly. What is of more concern it when I open my kickstand to an extreme angle (not completely open to the max), and let the SP3 set there for a while, it will slowly open to its max degree under its own weight, if it's setting on a hard, slick surface like a table or desk. If there's no adjustment to the friction hinge then who wants to send their SP3 off to MS for a couple of weeks while they replace the friction hinges? I've got extended coverage, but I can't figure out how I'd manage without it for a couple of weeks - I use mine as my desktop and laptop/tablet combined.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the desires to return it are for preventative reasons, not because it is proving detrimental to use.