What's new

Upcoming Updates for the Surface Pro 3

megatronium

SO I left work and was connected to a N network, hit the power button to have SP3 sleep, put SP3 in leather folio, and went home. Pulled SP3 out of folio and it was warm. Unlocked SP3 and 15 seconds later it was connected to my AC network. That's my experience with new firmware.

Nursedad

I'm glad the home button is getting some new driver love. I'm fed up of having to remember to fully shut down for fear of the thing waking up in my bag and draining the battery and getting hot.

Looking forward to the day I can just throw the keyboard closed and travel without worrying about it !

FYI...I just saw this thread, went to the Microsoft blog and it looks like they re-stated what the update of the home button / pen actually is for. See below in quotes...

"UPDATE 11/19/2014: When originally published, this article misstated some details around the updates for the Pen driver and the Home Button driver. The information below has been updated to reflect the correction (see *). We apologize for any confusion caused."

Doesn't sound like it addresses the "hot in the bag" issues.

Bandito

When I got home yesterday evening, my SP3 connected up to my network without issue, however, it only connected at about 100 Mbps. I can't tell if it was on 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz, but it should have connected via 5 GHz AC at a much higher rate. There may be a little more work to do, yet, on the WiFi drivers.

OP
jnjroach

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
When I got home yesterday evening, my SP3 connected up to my network without issue, however, it only connected at about 100 Mbps. I can't tell if it was on 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz, but it should have connected via 5 GHz AC at a much higher rate. There may be a little more work to do, yet, on the WiFi drivers.
Does your Router use the Broadcom SoC? I starting to see some commonalities with the SoCs of the Routers that are struggling still and it seems to point to Broadcom's "N" and "AC" receivers....

OP
jnjroach

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
FYI...I just saw this thread, went to the Microsoft blog and it looks like they re-stated what the update of the home button / pen actually is for. See below in quotes...

"UPDATE 11/19/2014: When originally published, this article misstated some details around the updates for the Pen driver and the Home Button driver. The information below has been updated to reflect the correction (see *). We apologize for any confusion caused."

Doesn't sound like it addresses the "hot in the bag" issues.
Interesting....I've noticed that the Windows Button had been modified with a Delay Function, I'm wondering if that Delay will be user adjustable in a future iteration of the Surface Hub...

everalm

Well, after never having problems with WiFi, after the firmware upgrade I do.

When out and about I connect my SP3 to the internet though my Samsung Galaxy's wireless hotspot, never had a problem.

Now, at random intervals the connection drops the internet connection (not the wireless connection) the WiFi shows as 'limited' and may, or may not after a minute or so reconnect to the internet. Sometimes stopping and starting the wireless adapter will clear the problem for a time sometimes not.

I have a Nexus 7 tablet connected at the same time and it never drops the internet connection so the issue is not with the host spot.

malberttoo

My SP3 has been fairly problem-free for a while now. I didn't install the last round of updates, and I think I'm going to hold off on these new ones as well.