What's new

Surface Pro 3 charging problem

wally76

Hi Guys,

since a week or so, my Surface Pro 3 is seldomly not charging. The white light is not switched on at all.
I am able to fix this by slightly twisting the cables of the battery charger: either the end from the wall to the charger or the other one from the charger to the Surface.

It looks like something is damaged (dirty, cuts, broken by accidental falls,..).

I am afraid this workaround will not be working anymore sooner or later, so I thought buying a new battery charger would be a quick solution.

Could you reccomend one? Original Microsoft or other producers?

Or am I completely wrong with the approacht? ;-)

Thank you!

Telstar1948

Sounds like the charger to me...can you check with MS to see if they'll replace it under warranty? Otherwise, I know there are SP3 chargers out there made by other companies than MS...but...I just dropped in Best Buy yesterday and bought another MS SP3 charger. I hooked my original one up to a desk I've set up in our study so it's not easily removed now. Thought that another charger would be helpful for traveling (or if the original died for some reason). Anyway, I decided to stay with MS for the charger due to its quality overall. I could have searched around and probably found another charger (cheaper) that may have performed well. I guess I preferred having a known quantity rather than experiment with something else - each to his/her own, I suppose!

OP
wally76

wally76

Hi Guys,

since a week or so, my Surface Pro 3 is seldomly not charging. The white light is not switched on at all.
I am able to fix this by slightly twisting the cables of the battery charger: either the end from the wall to the charger or the other one from the charger to the Surface.

It looks like something is damaged (dirty, cuts, broken by accidental falls,..).

I am afraid this workaround will not be working anymore sooner or later, so I thought buying a new battery charger would be a quick solution.

Could you reccomend one? Original Microsoft or other producers?

Or am I completely wrong with the approacht? ;-)

Thank you!

I eventually bought this: http://www.amazon.it/gp/aw/d/B00U70CWH2
(italian, sry)

Can I try fixing the original one somehow?

GoodBytes

Your cable is busted. I highly recommend to no longer use it, as a short is happening. After prologue usage your PSU will become very hot and could be a fire hazard. The charger of the Surface line is under the Surface device warranty. Contact Microsoft Surface support, and they'll ship you one for free. No need to send the busted one.

If you have Microsoft Complete Care extended warranty with your Surface Pro 3, then it covered by that (which is awesome, as all laptop manufactures don't. Their extended warranty doesn't cover accessories which they consider the charger to be. Microsoft follows a different mentality: everything in the box is part of the device, anything outside the box is considered an accessory. So the pen is also covered by the extended warranty.
Sadly, it does mean the keyboard is not covered under the extended warranty.

yonghong

Your cable is busted. I highly recommend to no longer use it, as a short is happening. After prologue usage your PSU will become very hot and could be a fire hazard. The charger of the Surface line is under the Surface device warranty. Contact Microsoft Surface support, and they'll ship you one for free. No need to send the busted one.

If you have Microsoft Complete Care extended warranty with your Surface Pro 3, then it covered by that (which is awesome, as all laptop manufactures don't. Their extended warranty doesn't cover accessories which they consider the charger to be. Microsoft follows a different mentality: everything in the box is part of the device, anything outside the box is considered an accessory. So the pen is also covered by the extended warranty.
Sadly, it does mean the keyboard is not covered under the extended warranty.
Make sense, my sp3's usb 2.0 doesn't work maybe because of this, when replacement one is coming, I will use the new one that MS gave to me long time ago.

Johnny365

Contact Microsoft support. I don't have Complete warranty, but was able to get a replacement surface pen (bluetooth wouldn't connect) and AC adapter (weird issues with maintaining 100% charge when plugged in), for FREE.

Haldi

Jep. Support is great.
My charger did not charge Laptop +Smartphone (USB hub on the charger) at the same time.
They Shipped a replacement.