What's new

Surface pen (latest) connection range?

chekhonte

I lost my pen and I'm not sure if it's in the house or I left it in the hotel on vacation. I didn't have device location enabled so that's a wash. I'm wondering how far my SB2 needs to be before it will connect to the pen. I plan on doing a sweep of work, home and car to see if it's in any of these places but having an idea of how far away my computer needs to be from the pen for it to connect will help with that.

Plantje

I can see if I can test this using my Surface Pro. But perhaps someone has an SB2 which gives you better reference.

I'm just sorry that I didn't think of this myself rather than buying a new pen when I lost mine :(

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I have noticed my pen can be detected by my Surface Book 2 15" about 40 feet away, and through two interior house walls. I have found my pen in sofa crevices a few times, after being convinced it was still in a particular room.

OP
chekhonte

chekhonte

Bummer! I think it's I left it in Costa Rica then. Fortunately, I have my old pen still but I'll need to get batteries.

OP
chekhonte

chekhonte

Wow, I forgot that the older pen has so much initial activation force! I miss my previous pen but no enough to spend 100 bucks.

OP
chekhonte

chekhonte

Oh! I found it. I'm updating this thread.

My surface didn't connect to the pen when it had just been laying in a drawer. My best guess for this is that the surface pen must have a rest mode where it completely turns off to conserve battery when it's inactive and must wake up when it's picked up.

Regardless I'm glad I found it. I greatly prefer it to the older version.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Great news!

I am still missing one. I think a family member thought it was a regular pen, tried it on paper, and then disposed of it.