What's new

Surface pen interferes with WiDi TV

errordewin2

I recently have bought a surface pro4 and all works fine, but I've found one issue. It was extremly difficult to connect my surface to my LG tv using wifi direct. After a lot off tries and resets i could connect it, but only for a short time.
after doing some test I found that if my surface pen is away from the surface, the connection is done easily without problems, but just when I approach it to the surface, the connection with the tv is lost, the surface pen loses his connection allways and sometimes I lose my wifi connection also. after this I shold reset my surface to use the pen again.
I have searched for more info about this issue, but I haven't found nothing.
Have anyone of you had this problem?

GoodBytes

All I know is that TV built-in miracast / WiDi system are very iffy to start with. Usually manufactures tests with it own latest devices, and doesn't bother on anything that didn't sale like hot cakes, despite a premium product from them, or anything lower end. Also, if I am not mistaken, Surface doesn't support WiDi, only Mircast. WiDi is Intel propitiatory technology. As Microsoft uses Marvel wireless cards instead of Intel, it isn't supported.

That aside, the pen uses BlueTooth for the one button, and to my knowledge the Surface Pro 4 continues with the same design limitation due to device size since the Pro 1, which is that the 2.4GHz antenna is shared with Bluetooth one, and doesn't have a dedicated one like you would on a laptop. So perhaps this is the reason.

What I would try is to make sure you connect to your 5GHz wireless N/AC network at home, and not your 2.4GHz one, and see if that improves things, by reducing the activity from the 2.4Ghz antenna.

Aside from that, I don't know, I don't have a Surface Pro 4, or 3. And all I have is Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter for miracast support.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Bluetooth modulates on 2.4 GHz, and the pen is Bluetooth, so that could be the problem. The 5GHz solution should work.

OP
E

errordewin2

thank you for your answers, but my router only suports 2,4 GHz :(
But anyway I can live without the pen while I use miracast / widi :)

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
You could try to change the router channel. Channel 11 has the least overlap with others.