What's new

Magnetically attaching SP3 pen to SP3

Liam2349

Something I was missing after leaving SP2 was the ability to stick my pen to my Surface. I know I can use the pen loop, but I don't want that thing sticking out when I'm not using it, and I'm sure it will leave a mark if I decided to remove it.

As far as I could tell, it was no longer possible to magnetically attach the pen, but I was doing it wrong! If you place the pen upright, it swivels, but place the pen upside down... bingo!

I've kept it like this all day in the house and it sticks pretty well, although not as well as SP2. It will fall off if you shake the device, but otherwise it's pretty solid. I've walked with it without issue.
20140830_021243.jpg

Attachments

• 20140830_021308.jpg
    20140830_021308.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 618
  • 20140830_021330.jpg
    20140830_021330.jpg
    468 KB · Views: 506

mohcho

I wouldn't say that it is attached, but simply held there by the magnet. I've noticed this from the get go when I received mine, but it does not hold it there securely so I never have considered it an option to keep it there.

OP
L

Liam2349

I wouldn't say that it is attached, but simply held there by the magnet. I've noticed this from the get go when I received mine, but it does not hold it there securely so I never have considered it an option to keep it there.

I can shake the device along the length of the pen as much as I want and it won't fall off, and I have to shake it pretty hard along its width before it falls off.

I'm pretty happy with that connection.

OP
L

Liam2349

I use that pen placement when i need to keep the pen in hands reach while using the device.

Same here, when not using it and putting it in the case (which i'll have tomorrow), I will most likely put the pen in its own section of the case.

Before I discovered this, I would always be wanting the pen and not have it next to me, but things are so much easier now.

I did keep the pen there all the time on SP2, but it was a stronger connection back then.