What's new

Surface book keyboard detachment woes

ryan996

Following the last Windows Update patch, my Surface Book won't detach from the keyboard without a notice to close a few applications, which is quite annoying.

For those who are running Spotify premium, you can go into EDIT > Preferences > Show Advanced Settings > > Enable Hardware Acceleration (Set to Off) to ensure that you can safely detach without having to close Spotify.

I'm also running into the issue of a conflict between my OneNote Desktop app and OneNote from the Windows Store which is also preventing the screen from detaching. There is no obvious way to uninstall the OneNote non-desktop app, so I usually have to open and close the application before the screen detaches.

I hope the next patch resolves these issues.

freetail

By 'Notice to close a few apps' do you mean you get an 'Elevated Process' notice, which needs to be resolved before the screen can detach? I was having a similar issue and found that Sonos had created a local user account on my SB2 and it was this, that was causing the issue at startup. Having deleted that profile, all is back to normal. Are you using Sonos out of interest?

I did all the other stuff - setting the NVidia settings to Automatic, updating drivers etc, but nothing else worked, other than removing the additional user profile. It may be that other 'user profiles' (not just Sonos) have a similar impact?

Nozmo

there is another thread on this. Always running is Paint 3D. Even if you don't open the program you get messages that it needs to be resolved. There does not appear to be a fix. Very annoying.

Cimmerian

Couldn't you dictate what program uses what GPU in NVIDIA control panel? Forcing something like chrome to only use the integrated CPU graphics regardless of what settings you are using on any given website?

NVIDIA Control Panel>Manage 3D settings>Program Settings>Option 2. Select the preferred graphics processor for this program

I do not have Spotify Premium to test this unfortunately.

Chrisonli

I had a problem when I updated to the latest Nvidia driver, so i rolled back the driver and I don't have any issues any longer... Hope this helps...

Orlbuckeye

Following the last Windows Update patch, my Surface Book won't detach from the keyboard without a notice to close a few applications, which is quite annoying.

For those who are running Spotify premium, you can go into EDIT > Preferences > Show Advanced Settings > > Enable Hardware Acceleration (Set to Off) to ensure that you can safely detach without having to close Spotify.

I'm also running into the issue of a conflict between my OneNote Desktop app and OneNote from the Windows Store which is also preventing the screen from detaching. There is no obvious way to uninstall the OneNote non-desktop app, so I usually have to open and close the application before the screen detaches.

The message saying you have to close specific apps before detaching happens because of the design of the Surface. Since the Nvidia GPU is located in the base and the Intel is in the clipboard if apps are set to use the Nvidia the app won't run when detached. You would have to close the app and reopen it when detached and the app would use the Intel GPU. You won't get a message when you reattach. This is why the default setting in the Nvidia control panel is to use the intel GPU. Now you can change the default or assign each app separately. I have found some apps that won't let me switch to Nvidia (GOM video player won't allow to switch).