What's new

Solved Surface Book 2 Processor Question

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello Everyone -

I am going to attempt NOT to sound like to big of a moron by asking this question, so please pardon me if I come across like an idiot. - - - I am an American Veteran living in Germany - So yesterday I ordered the Surface Book 2, 4,2 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 1 Terabyte - (I think its close to the best one Microsoft puts out, not sure). So I drop €3750.00 ($4620.00) on this beast. It came in early this morning and I have been in bliss since. However, the German Amazon website that I purchased it from stated the processor is a Coffee-Lake 4.2GHz, 8th Gen.

If you take a look at the pictures I have attached - perhaps you might see where my confusion lies. When I open the SYSTEM Properties, you can see that an Intel i7-8650U, CPU @ 1.90GHz / 2.11GHz is listed. It's been my experience that Microsoft System Properties usually nails this one. I installed CPU-Z (Please see attached photo) and the same confusion is produced here. Additionally, I read on a Surface Book Review that the Processor on the SB2 runs at 20.0W - CPU-Z has it listed at 15.0W - Does the Surface Book ramp up the wattage on a "as needed" basis? From what I was able to gather, the reason the i7 Model has fans, is due to the higher 20.0 Wattage - I am a little lost here and I am trying to make sure I didn't get ripped off somehow. (These Germans can be sneaky as heck sometimes)

My questions? Are -
1) Is there a way to absolutely identify what processor I have and that it is 4.2GHz capable (on demand of course)
2) Does anyone have any idea as to why the Windows System Properties either "got it wrong" or "got it right"?

If additional information is needed- please feel free to ask me. I will send along pictures, videos / whatever is needed. Again - I just want to make sure I haven't somehow gotten "got". For me, dropping almost 5 Grand isn't something I do everyday. I saved and saved for this one - I have a Surface Pro 4 i7 and absolutely loved it - thus I went with the Surface Book 2. Thanks, and I really do mean - thanks for any help any of you might render on this one.

Attachments

• PC Specs.PNG
    PC Specs.PNG
    120.1 KB · Views: 840
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    95.8 KB · Views: 880

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rest easy, that is the 8th gen CPU and is a nominally 15W rated part although it indeed runs at higher wattages as long as the cooling system keeps up. Variable clocks, variable power, variable TDP it's a bit tough to keep up with.

Here's the Intel specs on that CPU
Intel® Core™ i7-8650U Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.20 GHz) Product Specifications.
TDP 15w , Configurable TDP-up 25w.

Edit to add: I figure the 2.11 Ghz is an approximation or rounding of the TDP-up frequency.

hope that answers your question.

OP
MikemanSP4

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey GreyFox7 -

Thanks for your solid response. Your absolutely correct (of course) - I downloaded / installed the Intel Core Monitor and the other day upon boot-up, I observed the processor peak out at 4.2 for about 2 seconds. I was stoked needless to say. It's not often that I drop this kinda coinage on a machine, so as mentioned I just wanted to be certain that I got what I paid for. Again - thanks for your assistance. Feel free to delete this thread if you like.

bangsters

Awesome purchase and glad you got your questions answered buddy. I myself have the Book 2 15", but only 512GB Storage, the 1TB is out of my reach at the moment lol.... only computer I really spend money on since the original surface pro.

I'm sure you'll enjoy that beast.

OP
MikemanSP4

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Awesome purchase and glad you got your questions answered buddy. I myself have the Book 2 15", but only 512GB Storage, the 1TB is out of my reach at the moment lol.... only computer I really spend money on since the original surface pro.

I'm sure you'll enjoy that beast.

I am right there with you on the cost of the the Surface Book 2 - For years I have always "held back" due to one financial restraint or another. This time around I had managed to save up for this one. Since it costs as much as a semi-decent used car, I am making absolutely sure that everything works how it should. Thus my post about the processor etc. So far, my Surface Book 2 (SB2) has been off the chain with regards to performance. I downloaded Forza 7 and maxed out the video and it ran without any issues. (HUGE SMILE) -

Over the years I have built HUGE Gaming Beasts for clients - I mean the works, from water-cooled to Actual Air-Conditioned, down to 128GB DDR, Quad-Video - all the bells and whistles. Yes - of course these Gaming Machines can surely out-perform the SB2, BUT - I can still play most games and best of all, I can put my PC into a small backpack. That being said, I am just in awe over this machine, then - on top of that, I can disconnect the monitor and have a 4.2GHz Machine in my hands. Thrilled beyond words. I haven't stopped using it, and my wife is now a PC Widow.

I bought mine in Germany for €3754.00 or $4606.909 - Not cheap, but worth it. Another note on my experiences on building PC's - Whenever you build a PC, you need to have a break-in period - Making sure everything is working well - running a 24 hour stress test on the CPU & Graphics is paramount to ensure longevity and stability. With this in mind, I am almost 100% certain that Microsoft has a 72+ Hour Throttling / Break-In period. When I first opened the box, set up Windows and got things situated how I like them, the PC was laggy to say the least - I was just about to send it back thinking I got a dud..... Then after 3-4 days, my SB2 starts running wide-open! I mean it would make total sense, so the glue, heat-sink compounds (if any) and other parts that dissipate / are exposed to heat, can settle in. It would be a horrible business model to have a huge warehouse full of PC Nerds, testing / breaking in each machine. This is why our cell-phones are NOT "Jail-Broken / Rooted" and come pretty much locked down - If they didn't - Phone manufacturers would go broke replacing them due to software / user issues. Anyhow - I am beating this dead horse a little much.
In summary - My SB2 is now a screaming beast of a machine- It rips through anything I throw at it. If any of you enjoy racing, I highly reccomend Forza 7. I tried Forza 3 after I installed / played Forza 7 - I am SO happy I bought Forza 7 first as Forza 3 is made more for kids. The Graphics and Gameplay on F7 is really good. I haven't had an opportunity to install or play any other games, I am waiting on a few more reviews or recommendations before I drop another $60-$140 on game.

Thanks for reading and feel free to slam on me for being so excited. (Maybe I should have stuck with Forza 3 LOL) Your Surface Book 2 has the same specs minus a little way to costly storage, and with all of the storage options these days - who cares. Thanks for your reply- Enjoy your machine.

Mike

Last edited:
OP
MikemanSP4

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rest easy, that is the 8th gen CPU and is a nominally 15W rated part although it indeed runs at higher wattages as long as the cooling system keeps up. Variable clocks, variable power, variable TDP it's a bit tough to keep up with.

Here's the Intel specs on that CPU
Intel® Core™ i7-8650U Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.20 GHz) Product Specifications.
TDP 15w , Configurable TDP-up 25w.

Edit to add: I figure the 2.11 Ghz is an approximation or rounding of the TDP-up frequency.

hope that answers your question.

I replied to bangsters and covered a little about my machine - But you were / are dead RIGHT about my machine. I would venture to say that I truly believe that Microsoft in their divine wisdom has silently implemented a Short, but needed "break in period". For the first 72+ hours, my machine was somewhat (obviously) laggy. I was very disappointed and thought for the almost $5000.00 I spent - I felt a little ripped off. (When the PEN, Docking station, new mouse, XBOX Bluetooth controller and a few other things are factored in). So after 3-4 days, I get on my machine and it starts opening up - I was then (and still am) highly impressed.

When I consider that the materials that are used to build these machines are somewhat delicate and need time to "break in" and or "seat"properly - I can more than understand and be thankful for any "break-in" period Microsoft MIGHT implement. Thanks, again, for your reply.

Mike