What's new

SPRO3 won't start - power light blinks after power pressed

kinselp

All,

SPRO3 working perfectly, then last week it shut itself down for no apparent reason. Cannot get it restarted. Have tried:

1) Leaving on charge for hours (2 separate chargers used that work with other surfaces)
2) Long press on Power button (charge light blinks like its wanting start but nothing)
3) Vol UP & Power - long press - similar behaviour to Pt 2 (power light blinks)
4) Vol DOWN & Power - long press - similar behaviour to Pt 2 (power light blinks)
5) Have tried the combination of using the above as recommended by MS with the waiting period.

Running out of ideas. The fact that the power light blinks almost at the same time it would normally start when using one of the methods above leads me to believe its some sort of battery issue. I never got the latest firmware installed so the last firmware update was november 2016 I think.

Similar behaviour to this thread SP3 won't turn on, charge light flashes

Any advice appreciated

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
You may have tried this, but, while powered with AC adapter (plugged in) and the keyboard NOT attached, try exactly this:

1 Hold Power for 30 seconds, release. Wait 30 seconds more before next step.
2 Press Power and Vol Up, release if something shown on screen.

If this fails, you may indeed have a battery issue, but don't give up yet. Your battery may have run down, and cannot get just the right amount of juice to boot its own charging intelligence. While plugged in, keep trying various items as you have, including quick succession interruptions of one method to go to another. This is trying to get the charging circuit enough juice.

OP
K

kinselp

You may have tried this, but, while powered with AC adapter (plugged in) and the keyboard NOT attached, try exactly this:

1 Hold Power for 30 seconds, release. Wait 30 seconds more before next step.
2 Press Power and Vol Up, release if something shown on screen.

If this fails, you may indeed have a battery issue, but don't give up yet. Your battery may have run down, and cannot get just the right amount of juice to boot its own charging intelligence. While plugged in, keep trying various items as you have, including quick succession interruptions of one method to go to another. This is trying to get the charging circuit enough juice.
Thanks, have tried this for days now. Very frustrating that it appears to be a firmware issue that now has bricked the unit. Anyway will keep trying and if all else fails have to opening it to get to the ssd to info off it.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

OP
K

kinselp

Would you believe the damn thing just started today. Nearly two weeks of trying to start it and it now decides to start like nothing's happened. Battery is drained,.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Yours is not the first. Congrats. You distracted the battery recharge circuitry just enough. Marking solved.

OP
K

kinselp

Would you believe it's done the same thing even after updating firmware. Heap of junk....

OP
K

kinselp

Over a month since this started, and a after a day of working its back to being a brick. Surely someone must know what the problem is? Multiple chargers, docking stations and behaviour is exactly the same. Flashes the power light once (while showing its charging - its obviously not) after holding power button down. Any advice appreciated but this is ridicuolous

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@kinselp ,

Sorry the problem has returned.

Is there any chance that this issue is temperature related? I am thinking along the lines of a temperature expansion circuit fault.

OP
K

kinselp

Don't think so. Behaviour is consistent whether it's been left for days so essentially cold, or if left charging for days in AC and non AC environment. Definitely seems to be charging circuit related. If it starts again i may try and load W10 and see if that fixes it. Currently running W8.1

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Good idea to load Windows 10.
Again, sorry to hear of your problems with that PC. Keep us updated.

Kheoth

Hello! I've been having the exact same problem. I can turn on my surface pro when I hold my power button for several minutes, but it won't stay on for more than a few minute. Anyone was able to find a solution to this?

psavi

Exact same started Tuesday win 10 Pro. Tried all the various hold/reset buttons to no avail. Would start randomly then shut off and multiple attempts to try and restart. When I got to a last restart I figured let's just reset.
Did a recovery reset and that held for 1 hour! WTF - so I did a full wipe clean install and it's perfect. Last PM upgraded to the Windows 10 Creative update and been running smooth. Must have been a conflict in one on the hardware updates.