What's new

Solved Problem with touch screen

pude

I have a Surface Pro 3 (i7 256gb). I've had it for about 1,5 month now without any problems (I'm running Win 10). Yesterday I noticed, as I was about to enter an adress in IE that the touch screen didn't respond. At first I tought that IE stopped working, but as I was clicking around with my finger on other places on the screen I saw that it still was working.
Then I did some testing and discovered that from the top of the screen and down about maybe 3-4 cm the touch screen doesn't respond any more, with the exception of the top right corner. Then I tested the Surface Pen, and the pen works fine all over the screen. I've restarted the computer but the same thing happens.

Is there any solution to this or can it be a hardware-problem that I might turn it in to the store to have it fixed?

Thanks!

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Your Surface Pro 3 screen is likely broken. Make sure you have been syncing your files to OneDrive, then return the SP3 to a store. Portions of the touch screen going dead is a rare condition, but has been reported before. Some connection in the delicate circuitry must be broken or shorted.

OP
P

pude

Thanks for your reply.
That's what I was thinking. I will return it to the store.
Something weird happened just the other day that could have to do with this. As i was browsing, suddenly the resoultion just changed to the lowest possible for no reason, I changed it back and rebooted and then everything went back to normal.

OP
P

pude

Do you think a reset of the computer might fix it? If so, how do I do a reset on win 10 (I'm a mac guy)? I don't want a factory reset and go back to win 8, I would like to do a reset of win 10 in that case.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I'm a Mac guy, too.

Touch screen and pen use completely different sensing, but "Reset" is worth a try:

Settings, Update & Security, Recovery, "Reset this PC".

OP
P

pude

It sais I need some kind of recoverymedia, Do I have to have win 10 on usb-stick for this to work?

OP
P

pude

The Surface came with win 8.1, then I downloaded win 10 for free. So I have no copy of win 10 on any usb-unit

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, @pude,

You could either try a complete factory reset, in which case there is a slim chance your problem would be fixed. You would then have to re-install Windows 10. The screen problem might happen again, though.

Or bring it back to the store and get a replacement.

kiomon

This happened to me, and my SP3. Unfortunately I had to wipe send it in for a replacement. I wish there was a time machine like feature that would restore programs and such, as for me, reinstalling apps and such is a huge pain in the butt as I travel internationally 95% of the time, and have to make due with slow internet connection.

Richard Blaine

I have a Surface Pro 3 (i7 256gb). I've had it for about 1,5 month now without any problems (I'm running Win 10). Yesterday I noticed, as I was about to enter an adress in IE that the touch screen didn't respond. At first I tought that IE stopped working, but as I was clicking around with my finger on other places on the screen I saw that it still was working.
Then I did some testing and discovered that from the top of the screen and down about maybe 3-4 cm the touch screen doesn't respond any more, with the exception of the top right corner. Then I tested the Surface Pen, and the pen works fine all over the screen. I've restarted the computer but the same thing happens.

Is there any solution to this or can it be a hardware-problem that I might turn it in to the store to have it fixed?

Thanks!

I had a very similar problem (SP3 I7, Win10) , where a band along the right side of the screen stopped responding to finger touch, but did respond to the pen. This non-response even included the Windows start button. The problem seemed intermittent, then became full time over the past month or so. I can't associate it with a particular update.

But I did find a fix! There is a YouTube video documenting this issue:
In the comments, the OP points to a related Reddit discussion, which leads to the Sony site:
Sony eSupport - SVF15N190X - Drivers & Software

Here you will find a utility, along with detailed instructions, that somehow recalibrates the screen. Running this restored my screen to normal. Probably worth a try before doing a system reset or returning the unit.