What's new

Problem with surface pen

cska123

Can anyone tell how to fix a problem when pen is writing with gap missing some parts of line, like in screenshot below?
Already reconnected pen, also checked battery and button, everything is correct besides gaps.

Attachments

• problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 627

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Hello, @cska123

Welcome to the forum.
Let's try to get this problem resolved.

1) Do you get a similar gap when using your finger to write?
2) When you use the on-screen keyboard, handwriting option, with the pen or finger, do you also have this problem?

Let us know.

OP
C

cska123

Hello, @cska123

Welcome to the forum.
Let's try to get this problem resolved.

1) Do you get a similar gap when using your finger to write?
2) When you use the on-screen keyboard, handwriting option, with the pen or finger, do you also have this problem?

Let us know.
Thanks for your attention!
In both cases with finger situation is alright, with pen the same gap-story(

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Okay.

Next step is to isolate a pen hardware problem.

1) Are you using the pen made for the Surface Pro 4/Surface Book? This is the Surface Pen (V4), not the pen with two buttons near the tip.

2) Do you have a friend or acquaintance with the same pen? If so, it would be very beneficial to ask that friend if you could temporarily pair their pen with your Surface Pro 4. You would have to in-pair your pen first, then pair their pen and test. Of course, this is inconvenient, but very helpful to avoid unnecessary worry about the computer or pen that you own.

iliketoys

I'm having the same issue. Only noticed after the recent updates. Pen has intermittent gaps in any of the apps I tried (One Note, Sketchbook Pro, Fresh Paint).

Using supplied SP4 pen, has battery life, button presses work fine. I've had issues in the past with the eraser not launching apps and have gone through the whole pen connection/driver routine. Anyone else seeing this issue who might have a solution?

OP
C

cska123

Okay.

Next step is to isolate a pen hardware problem.

1) Are you using the pen made for the Surface Pro 4/Surface Book? This is the Surface Pen (V4), not the pen with two buttons near the tip.

2) Do you have a friend or acquaintance with the same pen? If so, it would be very beneficial to ask that friend if you could temporarily pair their pen with your Surface Pro 4. You would have to in-pair your pen first, then pair their pen and test. Of course, this is inconvenient, but very helpful to avoid unnecessary worry about the computer or pen that you own.

1) Pen made for the Surface Pro 4

2) I don't( I only got to know that a pen from ASUS doesn't work with Surface)

iliketoys

I was hoping the last few updates would fix this. Maybe the creators update will. Might try uninstalling the pen and reinstalling again.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
It creates breaks in the lines drawn in every program. (OneNote, FreshPaint, Sketchbook, etc).

So I decided to put my pen to the test since I just got a refurbished Surface Pro 4. It has Windows Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.969) all updated etc. I opened Microsoft Word and went to town with the pen. Initially the pen did skip intermittently, so I kept on drawing / spelling out letters etc. I then closed Word without saving and reopened it and did the same thing but this time the "skipping" went away and I got fluid lines without any breaks.

I have gone back a number of times with no line breaks or skipping. I doubt this helps you since I don't know what, if anything transpired on my machine.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    147.8 KB · Views: 633
Last edited: