What's new

Pro3: Onenote sync problem

YoyoRagamuffin

Dear ProThreers,
two things:

1) My Onenote does not sync on my laptop, neither the MUI version nor the 2013 desktop version. Basically, what I see on my SurfacePro3 is not visible on my laptop. Any idea about why this is happening?

Moreover

2) on my Surface, Onenote MUI does not sync at all, while the desktop version is really slow in syncing and it takes long time to sync. I have some PDFs and photos embedded but I wouldn't say that I have that much to justify the slowness of the sync process. Basically, the green sync symbol is on for long time. Is there anything that I could do make it run faster?

OP
Y

YoyoRagamuffin

Good point! I hadn't thought about that. I just checked it with several online services and I got different responses: Between 4 and 11 MB/s for download and between 3 and 5 for upload.

Do you think that my problem could be related to this relative slowness?

ctitanic

Good point! I hadn't thought about that. I just checked it with several online services and I got different responses: Between 4 and 11 MB/s for download and between 3 and 5 for upload.

Do you think that my problem could be related to this relative slowness?
I think so. Another question, How big is your OneNote files or file? If they are too big I would recommend to reorganize your notes in more sections.

ctitanic

No wonder! Please reorganize your files in more sections, that will create smaller files easier to sync.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You can also adjust how OneDrive Syncs as it defaults to Bursts rather background syncing.

OP
Y

YoyoRagamuffin

No wonder! Please reorganize your files in more sections, that will create smaller files easier to sync.

I thought that OneNote was able to manage a higher amount of data before messing up things. What size would you recommend for each notebook? The biggest notebook I have is the school one with photos, PDFs and notes.

OP
Y

YoyoRagamuffin

You can also adjust how OneDrive Syncs as it defaults to Bursts rather background syncing.

Thanks for your advise! What's the difference between the to modes? Where do I find this option? I looked into the OneNote 2013 options tab but I couldn't find anything. Thanks again

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for your advise! What's the difference between the to modes? Where do I find this option? I looked into the OneNote 2013 options tab but I couldn't find anything. Thanks again
Its a OneDrive Setting:
upload_2015-3-6_6-45-49.png

wynand32

Does this setting really affect OneNote? I know there's some linkage between OneNote and OneDrive if folders are stored in the cloud, but because OneNote is an always-syncing app, is OneDrove really the mechanism for syncing notebooks?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Does this setting really affect OneNote? I know there's some linkage between OneNote and OneDrive if folders are stored in the cloud, but because OneNote is an always-syncing app, is OneDrove really the mechanism for syncing notebooks?
It uses the same engine, this also controls the Office Document Cache's sync engine....