What's new

post your surface internet speeds!

OP
beman39

beman39

OK beman39 I admit that was on my desktop pc :tongue: and like you my surface only gets between 30-40meg max over WiFi. Im running 5GHz N wifi connected at 270Mbps when close and transferring a large file always gets me about 5-6MB transfer speeds.

jnjroach you say there is something wrong with his network but mine is exactly the same...

Ha! I knew it lol

so according to a website about WiFi and speeds, this is normal speeds, WiFi's only handle upto 54mb/s and that's if it is in favourable conditions! So it looks like the speeds we are getting is "nominal"

OP
beman39

beman39

Yes, I pay for 16Mb/s (no cable available where I live). But you're right, in that my SP isn't d/l at max speed, with my Lumina being quicker. Not sure why though.

Could it be in your WiFi settings that it is in power saving mode? Or in the "power options" maybe if you set it to high performance?

OP
beman39

beman39

Also another point I would like to point out, is the WiFi on a laptop is more powerful than the Surface due to battery size and/or it being plugged in. The Surface is never plugged in so its not as strong as say a wifi in a desktop/laptop... or am I wrong?

OP
beman39

beman39

ok can anybody answer this? why is my signal so poor? I am RIGHT BESIDE MY ROUTER and I know the signal should be at 100% is it because my router is getting defective? I think it's time to buy a new one lol anyways here is a pic included and I have outlined it in red

obmj.png

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Number One: WiFi isn't limited to 54Mbs, Wireless "G" is limited to 54Mbs and on average its between 22-35Mbs, Wireless "N" gets anywhere between 108 - 480Mbs. 5GHz has less throw but better through put, 2.4GHz has better throw but less through put.

On a crowded Wireless environment 5-6 MBs on 5GHz is very common, I see this on all of my 5GHz devices, on my 2.4GHz devices I see 2-3 MBs.

Things that affect Wireless Networks include Microwaves (in fact the entire 2.4GHz range can be interrupted by the use of a Microwave Oven), Wireless Landline phones and baby monitors, Bluetooth and Wireless Keyboards and Mice - all of these run in the same 2.4GHz range. Also if you live in an urban or high density living environment other networks can impact your performance. Using a tool such as inSSIDer3 can help you do a site survey and select the best placement in channels for your WiFi.

OP
beman39

beman39

well as you can see I set mine to N and I am getting slow speeds (according to you) so what settings in my router that I should look for and "tweek" to get better speeds? also according to you I should be getting 60mb/s on my Surface tablet...no?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
beman - I don't know your individual circumstances and your environment, but things I would investigate include firmware for your router, is there an update? Use a dedicated channel for your bands or a different channel based on the Site Survey using the tool listed above.

Lolvo

2932734161.png

Sitting at home, ~35ft from modem, connection shared with 4 other devices.
This is my new service that was installed yesterday. Not bad for what I'm used to - I don't see how some people are paying for 70MB/s+ connections, they don't even offer those speeds for residential use in packages.

OP
beman39

beman39

Well people are doing alot more stuff nowadays on the net, like for instance streaming Netflix/Hulu in high def or even YouTube videos in 1080p plus the other stuff like gaming online where you need a fast/er connection so you can win over the other guy who has a fast connection too lol the internet is getting bigger/faster/better nowadays.

lostlogik

Stranger still, I used the W8 app Network Speed Test and got 5.3Mb/s but then used speedtest.net via IE and got 14.3Mb/s. Both had the same ping of 42 ms and upload. Bizarre.

OP
beman39

beman39

Stranger still, I used the W8 app Network Speed Test and got 5.3Mb/s but then used speedtest.net via IE and got 14.3Mb/s. Both had the same ping of 42 ms and upload. Bizarre.

yea I find that app doesn't work.....at all! lol I uninstalled it like 5 seconds later

machistmo

ok can anybody answer this? why is my signal so poor? I am RIGHT BESIDE MY ROUTER and I know the signal should be at 100% is it because my router is getting defective? I think it's time to buy a new one lol anyways here is a pic included and I have outlined it in red

obmj.png

You should try this on the Surface Pro. http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ It works really nicely to help you find and eliminate interference and to swap channels so youre not Channel clashing with your neighbors. There are like 15 networks around mine and more popping on every day. What is the signal like when you're 10 feet away vrs 20 feet and 30 feet? Where does it reach 100%? I would guess after 15 feet or so you should expect to see closer to 100%, inside that range you could see wonky numbers.

I wanted to say one other thing here. The speed test is just that and is not an indicator of everday experiences. I used to see my Surface Connecting at 54MBs(sometimes 36 and 24 :() all the time and it would still take it 8 miunutes to snag iTunes when I could get it on the computer upstairs and sneaker-net it to the surface in less time. My Wifi Experience with the Surface Pro was less than impressive. This is an area they HAVE to improve on just as they do the lifespan of the battery. Its a must for the next gen devices.

EDIT: Forgot link and puncuation.

Last edited: