What's new

Official Windows 10 Insiders thread

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Still experiencing an annoying issue of a usb stick being inserted into the surface usb port killing off my internet. It doesn't kill it in that I lose my wifi connection etc, but in that once the usb stick is plugged in, it'll take minutes to load up any web page, even if just a google search. No viruses or malware detected anywhere. It's been like this for a while now across multiple builds.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Still experiencing an annoying issue of a usb stick being inserted into the surface usb port killing off my internet. It doesn't kill it in that I lose my wifi connection etc, but in that once the usb stick is plugged in, it'll take minutes to load up any web page, even if just a google search. No viruses or malware detected anywhere. It's been like this for a while now across multiple builds.
I doubt this is caused by or will will be fixed by software. it's a known issue with many USB devices emitting RFI (Radio Frequency Interference). Shield it (wrap it in tinfoil) or plug it in with a long cable to move it away from the antenna.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I doubt this is caused by or will will be fixed by software. it's a known issue with many USB devices emitting RFI (Radio Frequency Interference). Shield it (wrap it in tinfoil) or plug it in with a long cable to move it away from the antenna.

It's never been a problem in the past. Only the last few months :/ I used to always have this usb stick plugged in for backing up documents as I worked and never had an issue.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Being a pain for me. Wifi no longer works. It finds all the available AP's, and then just tells em passwords are wrong, "something has changed since last time" etc.

GTiceman

15007 is generally okay here except I can transfer nothing to an external device. I tried two phones and I just get an alert noise, no pop-up. My external drives are not working either when connected via USB.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@GTiceman ,

Try the tweak I posted above (run cmd as Admistrator).

I can transfer to my networked hard drive, Mac drives, and USB drives just fine.

GTiceman

@GTiceman ,

Try the tweak I posted above (run cmd as Admistrator).

I can transfer to my networked hard drive, Mac drives, and USB drives just fine.

Already tried the tweak. Seems like something with the phones that wasn't an issue before but I am looking into it. USB drives now working fine.