What's new

Official Windows 10 Insiders thread

Compusmurf

I love the new notification center. So far, Universal apps aren't disappearing off the task bar and not randomly closing. I love the new swipe desktops function. I've set 3 finger swipe to be the switcher too. Tho I have found a bug in it. Sometimes the swipe will move apps across to other desktop. I'll probably report it if I can confirm it.

I haven't tested the input/battery thing because I'm still connected to work and don't want to lock up my machine. Ha. (Can't risk it until after 5pm my time)

Hello and fingerprint reader are both working fine so far. Not caring about the new explorer icon, but who cares. That's an icon file and can be switched. Not a real complaint.

Love the new audio selection features. I have 2 specialized external sound cards I hook up and that's helpful. If you have to know why, 1 is a ham radio interface, and well, so is the 2nd one but for a different app.

Did I say I like the new gestures yet? Yes, I really, really do. I had a key programmed on my mouse to do that but when I'm not around the mouse, this is far, far handier!!!!!

No new plugins for edge, same ones from 4/6 so if those are already downloaded, it makes it quick to re-add them.

There's a weird, but harmless (so far) bug with the start menu when using the new dark theme. Very left side of it flickers. Could be MS's crappy implementation of the Intel driver on my sp4.

Taskbar calendar integration is cool. That should have been there from the beginning. Not sure about the new inking features. I don't use Cortana much so haven't noticed the changes there. Most of the rest of the changes seem like fluff to me or I don't use them.

Oh, and in other news for me, it's been a fun filled week. My Note 5 on Tmobile finally got the marshmallow update which has been VERY nice and helpful to the battery, and my man cave/office/den is almost done with the remodel, plus spilled a cup of water on my other laptop, powered off immediately, pulled battery and power cord and hung to dry and it's working perfectly. Oh, and it's FRIDAY!!!!

Compusmurf

Is that the known issue talked about in one of the earlier Insider builds? I've been waiting for Microsoft to explicitly state that the issue has been resolved before even thinking about trying another Insider build.

My exact scenario. Plugged in, rock solid, on battery with pen, 3 resets required today during a very important 2 hour revision lecture. Fortunately I had my s3 with me as well else it could have proven itself a highly problematic situation.

The lockup problem is NOT resolved in this build.

Compusmurf

Well, looks like my SP4 is defective. The odd lockups I was getting on battery that I've been blaming on the insider program may not be.
I backed up and reset my system to the original OS, installed updates. Now I'm fully stock and still locking up on battery.

Tomorrow it's making a trip to the MS store.... This is unacceptable.

Well, looks like my SP4 is defective. The odd lockups I was getting on battery that I've been blaming on the insider program may not be.
I backed up and reset my system to the original OS, installed updates. Now I'm fully stock and still locking up on battery.

Tomorrow it's making a trip to the MS store.... This is unacceptable.

No longer on the insider build program after the wealth of FBLs this time last year, but this thread and several others up here constantly reaffirm my decision to go with the SP4 and not the SB. Keep up the good work!

Compusmurf

New machine soooo much nicer. Is actually nice to use battery without lockups, even on the insider build. Got to play with some VR stuff and the new keyboard at the MS store while I was waiting for the old device to wipe. New keyboard material feels nice. I want a shirt made of it. :)

New machine, restored my full backup after making a stock backup. They didn't transfer over my MS complete, but the online folks are doing that. They had me send a copy of the original receipt and the replacement receipt showing both serial numbers. I'll check again on Friday to make sure that got done.

I'm happy again that the insider build is behaving on my new and improved (aka working) SP4. They didn't give me any hassle there at all once I demonstrated the problem, not that it took more than 10 minutes each time to duplicate it. I showed them a full log of every step I took to fix and had a nice track record of saved event logs.

Few kinks with this build so far, nothing really major. All in all, this is shaping up to be a superb release for everyone!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Currently downloading 14332 :) Swear I only got the last build a day or two ago. Will be interesting to see what has changed given I've barely an issue on the current build other than pen cursor in onenote (If i leave my mouse on say a powerpoint document on the second screen, and the cursor takes on the "hand" icon, when I start inking in onenote, instead of the pen dot, it is also the hand icon until i take the mouse and click back onto onenote)

Compusmurf

Hughlle, not much difference in the builds other than the fact they are using this build as their baseline for the massive bug bash they are doing this week. I suspect they wanted everyone on the same version and locked down adding new features and are using this one as the litmus test. There was a start menu bug of overlapping text that did get fixed that I noticed. Go do some quests, report any found bugs anywhere else. I've reported 4 bugs so far that weren't quest related.

wynand32

So, can anyone comment on whether the input lockup from an earlier build but has been fixed in 14332? I'd love to give it a try but don't want to do so as long as a known issue like that one remains unfixed.