What's new

Non-IE Browser With Touch Interface

J

jwleonard

I bought a SP3 and haven't been able to find a web browser I like yet. I'm looking for something made to use with a touchscreen like the metro version of IE but that supports extensions. I'm really kind of shocked at the lack of support for "tablet mode" from Chrome & Firefox; I really thought I might find an extension that would help but haven't had any luck there yet. Also, I really miss the ability to middle click links to open in a new window. Has anyone found a better solution than using IE in "tablet mode" and Chrome or Firefox in "laptop mode"?

ChrisPanzer

Agreed.

I wish for the life of me Opera had a metro mode app....

Also, don't laugh but I don't even know how to open Metro IE on my own; it just does sometimes lol... When I click the metro tile, the desktop version opens up!!Wacky...

OP
J

jwleonard

If you click the tile from inside the "start menu" it should open the Metro version of IE as long as it is set to the default browser. So make sure IE is the default browser if you want it to open in the Metro version.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed.

I wish for the life of me Opera had a metro mode app....

Also, don't laugh but I don't even know how to open Metro IE on my own; it just does sometimes lol... When I click the metro tile, the desktop version opens up!!Wacky...
If you have any other browser set us default, such as Chrome, you will only get desktop IE, also there is a setting that sets the desktop version as default as well even without another browser.

vsherry

Thank you for solving the mystery. I never understood all these posts plainly stating or implying there was a Metro version of IE because I always get the desktop version. I have switched my default browser to IE after reading it is better for battery life, so let me see what happens when I choose from the Start screen now.

nwijma

The latest Chrome Beta (40.0.2214.45 beta-m (64-bit)) has a tablet mode. After installation you can select from the menu to restart in windows 8 mode. Thereafter you have to select chrome as default browser.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I still can't get Metro IE to show up. I don't understand why it's not available in the Windows store.
Try this:

a) Open the Desktop Internet Explorer.
b) Click on the Setting (Gear) option.
c) Select Internet Explorer. Click on Programs Tab.
d) Un-check the box which says “Open Internet Explorer tiles on the Desktop”.
e) Click on OK and Apply the changes.

internet_properties.png

ChrisPanzer

I understand now metro/desktop IE. I just cannot believe MS wouldn't explain this or at least make this issue painfully clear. Otherwise, I can only imagine how many others are confused about this topic as well.

Regardless, thank you so much for the help, much appreciated. I enjoy using my SP3 much more now, it's really 'designed' to be used in-tandem with IE.

Trying to use Opera in Tablet mode is tedious and trying; nearly impossible to highlight/cut/paste. =(

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I understand now metro/desktop IE. I just cannot believe MS wouldn't explain this or at least make this issue painfully clear. Otherwise, I can only imagine how many others are confused about this topic as well.

Regardless, thank you so much for the help, much appreciated. I enjoy using my SP3 much more now, it's really 'designed' to be used in-tandem with IE.

Trying to use Opera in Tablet mode is tedious and trying; nearly impossible to highlight/cut/paste. =(
By default it works as expected, it is when people make other browsers the default that it gets wonky and other browsers don't always leave the system in the same state unfortunately.

OP
J

jwleonard

I'm glad my question has at least helped others find out how to use the metro version of IE.

So back to my original issue, I want touch friendly, just like IE Metro but with the ability to use extensions which the Metro version doesn't allow. I really just need a favorites synchronization, some means of opening links in new tabs without having to right click (middle click normally), lastpass & adblock plus to work. Also, please note I'm not bashing IE here; if it met my criteria I would use it happily. I'm really shocked IE is the only option and people are happy with it especially in this locked down no extensions version.

nwijma - Thanks for your suggestion, I have tried using Chrome in Windows 8 mode but it isn't really a touch friendly mode, it just puts it into a chromebook like mode but all the navigation features are just like the normal browser. I'm looking for tiled favorites, large menu buttons and tabs that can be manipulated on the display instead of with a mouse.

malberttoo

...adblock plus to work.

Open up desktop IE, and follow the directions here for enabling Tracking Protection- http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/internet-explorer-uses-a-lot-of-cpu.10924/#post-82337

Yes it is the dumbest thing ever that Microsoft doesn't make you aware that settings in Desktop IE carry over to Metro IE. I enjoy an ad-free surfing experience on Metro IE.

Also, check out the "Metro IE tips and tricks" link in my sig for instruction on how to sync favorites using OneDrive.

Last edited: