What's new

New SB with Performance Base Benchmarks

SurfaceDepth

Hey guys, I picked up a i7/16/512/965 Surface Book last night, and thought I would throw some initial benchmarks out there as they were some what limited when I was researching. I will open with a complete screen shot of the Firestrike standard score. Folks had projected between 4200-4400 for the total score, but didn't include things like the graphics only score. As the total score includes CPU, and the SB uses a dual core CPU as opposed to a quad core, it can skew the score a bit. My system posted 4396 for the total score, and 5156 for the graphics score (see attached).

I will include some other bench marks and game results as I continue testing. Let me know if you have any comments or questions.

Update: Diablo 3 at 3000x2000 native resolution, all settings maxed: 64fps in multiple areas and in combat. It's actually the best I've seen the game look, the high contrast screen makes it amazing.

Attachments

• Surface Book 965 Firestrike Stock.png
    Surface Book 965 Firestrike Stock.png
    899.2 KB · Views: 640
Last edited:

flar

Grrr... I get about 25fps at 3000x2000, didn't check if the settings were maxed, but it was a bit too stuttery to really play at that resolution. The sad thing is that there aren't any other 3:2 resolutions in the list so you either get letterboxing or stuttering... :(

OP
S

SurfaceDepth

I'm looking at some of the results from the new MacBook Pro maxed out with the Polaris 460 and the new SB is about 20-25% faster in graphics performance. I really think the Surface team is on to something with this machine. Wouldn't surprise me if SB2 is designed to have modular bases for upgrades.

flar

Getting tempted to upgrade, but want to wait for more changes. Meanwhile...

I noticed today on Amazon that the i7/16/512/dGPU model has a bundle sale price. $2799 for the computer, or $2699 bundle price for the computer plus dock - so I could get the new model with performance base for the same price as I paid for my 16/512 model last year plus they give me a free dock on top of it.

Tempting to upgrade. I'd be happier if I could get that at the local MS store, though...

OP
S

SurfaceDepth

That's a pretty sweet deal at Amazon for sure. I did pick mine up from the MS store, at the time they had just received a new shipment of them in. Most of my other options were out of stock on it at the time.

Still really loving the machine, need to buy a dock for it though. I'm hoping someone has a deal on them black Friday.