What's new

New Intel HD Driver

DeltaXray

Anyone who has installed this - any increase in battery life?

Hope they push this out via Windows Update sooner than next patch tuesday

m1tch

@Jamie Youngblood, Do you know if there a reason this would work with the Dell UP3214Q and not an Asus PB287Q? I just received my Asus today and I can't get 60Hz at the native "Ultra HD" resolution. You are using a Surface Pro 3 correct? I have the SP3 i7 and I'm feeling like this should work. The Asus cost me $600 shipped, and the Dell is around $1300, Does this price difference include some special feature that enables the 60Hz fequency? Is that what the "MST" thing is I'm seeing posted on other forums? I'm unclear as to what that is/means. I'm using Display Port.. Should I be using HDMI?

The SP3 can't drive SST 4k at 60Hz. Only MST works at that refresh. I think some others have created custom timings up to around 50Hz though which wouldn't look too bad. Search around for those settings.

m1tch

Can you help me understand why MST works? Is the monitor basically emulating 2 displays to the Surface so it can pull off the refresh? Could I get an MST hub/adapter so I can use my screen?

I've been browsing the forums but haven't seen any hacks like that. If you have a second could you link me to one? That could work for me.

Can you help me understand why MST works? Is the monitor basically emulating 2 displays to the Surface so it can pull off the refresh? Could I get an MST hub/adapter so I can use my screen?

I've been browsing the forums but haven't seen any hacks like that. If you have a second could you link me to one? That could work for me.

Yes, MST is emulating two separate monitors using two separate DP links. SST is one big monitor on one DP link. The SP3 cannot drive DP at 4k/60 per link, but it can drive two links at 4k/30 (which can be combined to one 4k/60 monitor in MST mode).

I think professional MST combiners exist, but I don't think they are really consumer based, so are probably very expensive. But if you find a cheap solution, you should spread the word.

For custom timings see:
http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/4k-not-working-on-samsung-u28d590d.11077/
"I have the exact same monitor connected with a mini-displayport to displayport cable to my monitor. I was able to get a resolution of 3840x2160 at 50hz; timing standard: CVT-RB. I used the Intel drivers and created a custom resolution through the Intel Graphics Control Panel . I don't have any flickering at all, so far so good. I also have a 1920x1080 monitor hooked up as well. one through the docking station and one directly connected to the surface pro. I have an I5 Surface Pro 3."

Last edited:

bmack

Has anyone been able to get the 4400 driver to install for the i5 Surface Pro 3? Because I am not seeing the inf file that allows you to install the driver in the ZIP file.

bmack

It must be a windows 10 thing that's preventing me from being and to do it. I'm able to install the update right before this one without a problem.

m1tch

@Jamie Youngblood, Thank you for the pointers, I was able to get 50Hz working on my SP3 i7.. However it still feels a bit too jerky when I play a video.

I've been trying to figure out how to emulate this MST thing with my monitor.. I happened to have a display port MST splitter.. basically it takes DP 1.2 in and puts out 3 1.2(?) signals.. so I can power up to 3 monitors if my card supports it.

I plugged one cable from the splitter to the Asus monitor and it works fine (but at 30hz) then I tried to do a DP to HDMI cable and I can't get ANY video to show up on the monitor.. I was trying to see if I can send two streams and then use the "PBP" (picture by picture) mode to pull all of this off.. However, the fact that I can't get the HDMI stream to show aside.. The Display Port stream shows up shrunken in PBP mode.. It doesn't use the full height of the screen and width of 1920 (half with width).. So I don't think it'll matter if I get the HDMI working.. Unless you or someone else has any ideas?

Okay.. all that said I wrote it earlier.. and now I'm trying out a new idea.. I set up a custom resolution using the max Width that the SP3 can support at 60hz of 3200 (out of 3200x2000) and I used an online ratio calculator to figure out that at 16:9 the height would be 1800, which falls below 2000, so I used the custom resolution feature in my graphic drivers to set that resolution at 2k. It failed at first using 60hz until I switched the monitor back to DP1.2 and then it stuck. Soo.. So far so good and things look great. I adjusted my monitor to scale text a little bit since it was too small.. Currently using the 125% setting and things look good. This hack is getting me closest to using my monitors native resolution. 2560x1600 just doesn't make sense for me to settle on since I'm moving over from Dual Apple Cinema 23" screens (1920x1200).

Btw, to get my Surface Pro 3's screen to also look good regarding scaling to the size I want, I also used this resolution hack so that I could match up my monitor and SP together, Currently running my SP3 screen at 1440x970 and I like it that way.. The native resolution is just way too small and hurts my eyes.. If I wanted my buttons smaller I would just adjust around 1440 to a higher res and use the calculator to match the width.. Doing this is helping me bypass the DPI issues that Windows 8.1 really sucks with. Also, I do have issues undocking/docking my Surface.. Scaling gets messed up, so I log out and back on each time and then everything is fine. It's annoying but I've been doing it for a couple months now and I'm getting used to it. (I have had to do this with my old monitors too.)

Sorry for the long post! Maybe it will help someone :)

Thanks again !