What's new

My SP6 struggles with the absolute basics...

r_europe

Erm,,, Microsoft Word and Microsoft Outlook, in fact!

Word documents and EMail work just freeze after a while - sometimes with black all across the top of the screen and down one side. It's been like this with the SP6 since the beginning. I thought it would sort itself out after settling down and updates etc. But whilst it seems slightly better than it used to be, the problem is still there - and obviously, it crops up when you least need it...

OK - I can sort it by shutting down Word/Outlook - also by rebooting, when it's really bad. But when I bought a 512 SSD/16GB RAM machine, with the latest processor, I though I was going to be at the cutting edge. My SP3 doesn't do this.

All software, subscriptions etc. are above board and paid up.

Any ideas..?

kristalsoldier

You could try resetting the SP6 (painful exercise, IMO, but sometimes the only option). Alternatively, you could try reinstalling the apps (Office/ Outlook in your case - lesser painful option). Also, are you syncing to OneDrive? And, is it a new machine? If yes to both, then it may be indexing/ downloading/ syncing, which MAY impact performance to some extent. The black border on the top is a different matter though - maybe graphics/ display drivers? Assuming you are all updated and all where system updates are concerned.

Fast-T

Uninstall and reinstall the apps through the MS Store before resetting the PC completely. Also a office repair sometimes helps. Have you tried running the applications in safe mode? Sometimes plugins cause trouble. Especially if you run the 64bit version and your plugins are 32bit.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Turbo4AWD

Yeah, I was going to say "reset" but if you can try reinstalling the apps to resolve the issue, do that first. Then just reset Windows (which I believe is the same as reinstalling windows?) and see if that solves the issue.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, uninstall "Microsoft Office" items from Settings, Apps... , then re-install.
You'll be delighted to find that your documents are all still there, since they were separate from the software.