What's new

Microsoft Announces New Surface Pro at Shanghai Event

convergent

Fully agree. There just isn't a need for usb-c for the vast majority of users right now. It is worthless to me and as with everything, all the complaints, well it's from a vocal minority. I imagine that the vast majority of the public don't even know what it is other than that it charges a phone or macbook. Does anyone here actually have any usb-c peripherals?

I read that while the pen is not included, the price has been dropped to reflect it (compared to the SP4 price). Maybe so like with the keyboard, you can opt for the colour you want. And that was also my first reaction to the surface dial. Looks useful, but way too big. I appreciate that a larger dial will offer more accurate control, but not at the expense of that much real estate.

I hadn't thought about the color thing... good point. That is probably why they unbundled the pen.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hadn't thought about the color thing... good point. That is probably why they unbundled the pen.

Indeed. I think that it has always been that reason that they don't include the keyboard (which everyone complains about, non-stop). They'd either have to offer it in one colour, which would be a touch boring, or they would have a far more complicated process regarding stock control etc having to have different packaging for every combination desired.

At the end of the day it is an option, so as long as the price reflects it, and it is clear (which right now, they ought to put more emphasis into the pen not being inlcuded), then people can buy what they need and not be forced to pay for something they won't use.

convergent

Indeed. I think that it has always been that reason that they don't include the keyboard (which everyone complains about, non-stop). They'd either have to offer it in one colour, which would be a touch boring, or they would have a far more complicated process regarding stock control etc having to have different packaging for every combination desired.

At the end of the day it is an option, so as long as the price reflects it, and it is clear (which right now, they ought to put more emphasis into the pen not being inlcuded), then people can buy what they need and not be forced to pay for something they won't use.

Or they'd have to do something more ridiculous like what Apple does with the watches. They offer a few packages with a particular watch and band.... meaning if you want something else you have to buy an extra band you don't want. If they just sold the watches separate from the bands, then you could get exactly what you want. A little more packaging, but far easier on the SKU inventory.

Imagine... "Oh, you want the dark blue keyboard. That only comes with the i7. If you want the i5 you have to get the red keyboard, but you can then buy the dark blue keyboard extra."

Afy

To upgrade or not to upgrade. That is the question...
SP4 i7 currently. Sooooo tempting. Or should I just hold off for SB2

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going to downgrade Spec-wise to the i5/8/256 to get fanless operation....I'll turn back by Surface Book to IT :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you mean in milliamps hours (mAhr)? We know the CPU wattage which is 4.5W, 15W & 15w for the Core m3, i5 & i7 respectively.
Yes Battery Capacity in Watt Hours or Milliamp hours.

If someone is at a store and sees one, run the Powercfg /batteryreport command the info will be on there.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone know if the Surface Pro 4 keyboard will be forward compatible with the new Surface Pro?

While the sp4 cover doesn't state it is compatible on the product page, the new type cover is compatible with the sp4 so you'd think the sp4 cover would work with the pro

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes Battery Capacity in Watt Hours or Milliamp hours.

If someone is at a store and sees one, run the Powercfg /batteryreport command the info will be on there.
It seems the answer is 45WH battery for the Surface Pro 2017.
The SP4 has 39WH and other Pros have 42WH batteries.
Surface Laptop - unknown ... but it would seem to be in this range... maybe 46WH?