What's new

Knuckle or Pen?

nevertellthomas

I bought a Surface Pro 3 today. I do transportation design sketching, with Photoshop and Sketchbook Pro mainly. Anyway, I find that the Surface Pro gets confused and thinks that my hand is the pen stylus, so when I draw I end up drawing unwanted lines from with my knuckles that are holding the pen rather than the pen stylus. Is this a common problem? Is there a way to just enable the pen to draw a line and nothing else?

Also if I sketch in Photoshop the lines are really jagged. Not in Sketchbook Pro though. Is there a way to fix this? Is there a way to better configure the pen?

Any help appreciated!!

Thanks

bvone21

I have sketchbook and there was a setting to use pen only I believe? I'll have to check again...but that does the trick...otherwise the surface doesn't seem to pick up the pen until it's pretty close to the screen. Typically after my palm has already hit and then I leave marks everywhere (unless I remain conscious of it).

JoshB

The NTrig tech is bad for slow drawing. If you draw too slow it will be very jagged.

On the issue with the knuckle marks, it must just the way you draw. When the pen is near the screen(when you can see the pen location cursor), all touch is turned off. So when the pen is near screen, touch it with your fingers will not do anything, it has to be the pen to make a mark. So you must be pulling the pen off the screen to a distance that it stops recognizing the pen is near screen and starts recognizing touch again. There is not much you can do to fix that issue except not lifting the pen too far away from screen while drawing.

OP
N

nevertellthomas

Hi... I'm not lifting the pen. Even if the pen is 5mm away from the screen I can still make a mark with my knuckle.

And if you could find that setting I'd appreciate it!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi... I'm not lifting the pen. Even if the pen is 5mm away from the screen I can still make a mark with my knuckle.

And if you could find that setting I'd appreciate it!

Does this do it in all software or just one instance? I've never had an issue with palm recognition on the SP3.

JoshB

Same, I have never had an issue with palm recognition. I would actually like it if you could turn it on or off. As far as I know there is no setting. It is just always on, when pen is near screen other forms of touch input are disabled.

Benjicon

I never had a problem with palm recognition either, although my wives SP3 pen didn't recognise first time round, we had to reinstall and it worked. Also if you want to tweak the pressure sensitivity for your pen, look up "Surface Hub" in the store, it lets you set sensitivity and also disable the Windows button if you keep bumping it while drawing.

OP
N

nevertellthomas

I never had a problem with palm recognition either, although my wives SP3 pen didn't recognise first time round, we had to reinstall and it worked. Also if you want to tweak the pressure sensitivity for your pen, look up "Surface Hub" in the store, it lets you set sensitivity and also disable the Windows button if you keep bumping it while drawing.

OK cool, I'll try it.