What's new

Kickstand loose and rattling

Maximus3D

Mine has the rattling, had it since i unboxed it but it never bothered me. If the kickstand no longer supports the weight of the device it's time to get it fixed, until then i would not worry about it.

/ Magnus

mitchellvii

My point is, the tiny wobble at only certain angles you describe is not an imperfection, it's just how the kickstand works.

But this is like spinning it like a top on its corner and being unhappy it falls over. When used as it is intended to be used (and was engineered) it is fine.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is completely normal. If you use the device as intended, i.e. the other way up, you would never even hear this or notice it.

Strange. Because microsoft told me that this was NOT normal. I use the device as intended, and i hear and notice it on mine simply picking it up or putting it down.

OP
M

mwilson

Thank you all who responded.

I almost went with the "it's normal" storyline until I called MS and they unambiguously told me that no, it is not normal, and I should have it exchanged. Which is most likely what I will to tomorrow, or get a refund. Not sure yet at this point.

My main concern is the fact that it was a gradual onset, it wasn't there from the beginning. Had it been there from day one, and stayed the same, it would have been one thing. But it was firm at first, and the play only increased with time. What will it be like in 2 months? A half a year from now? I'd rather get a refund while I can, as opposed to exchanging units ad nauseam.

Last edited:

RémiM

I dont think the eventuality of something that could maybe happen in an uncertain future somewhere somehow should convince you to get a refund.

Frankly, think about it.

Exchange your SP3, and enjoy your new best device of 2014. You have a one year warranty, and if it's not enough, subscribe to the Complete plan.

Nothing out can even compete with the SP3 in term of versatility.

IT_Freggel

I am on my second SP3 because of a dust particle behind the glass screen of the first unit. Both have the same losseness as seen in your video. What i see in the forum nearly every one has it. As long as it does not reduce functionality, it a feature ;)

Maximus3D

If the rest of your device works just fine and you got this rattling thing then it would not be smart to exchange it, you may end up with far worse troubles if you are unlucky.

I had a close look at the hinge and the movement is very small, less than a milimeter perhaps about half a milimeter movement. This little 'play' might not be what Microsoft wants the hinge to have but as a user it falls within my tolerances as the device and hinge are still fully usable.

/ Magnus

nilsk123

Okay, my surface pro 3 has developed this aswel overtime. I have chosen to live with it unless it gets worse.

At some point i heard the rattle and felt it moving as i picked it up. I wondered if it had always been that way, i didnt think it was but maybe i was paranoid. I then went into a store and checked out 3 demo units. None of them had this issue, the kickstand wouldnt move a milimeter.

So no, it isnt supposed to be this way.

OP
M

mwilson

If the rest of your device works just fine and you got this rattling thing then it would not be smart to exchange it, you may end up with far worse troubles if you are unlucky.

/ Magnus

This here quote should be plenty embarrassing to any manufacturer if spoken of their products.

Liam2349

Strange. Because microsoft told me that this was NOT normal. I use the device as intended, and i hear and notice it on mine simply picking it up or putting it down.

If the kickstand rattles when you pick it up, then perhaps it's too loose. Mine only rattles when open at 150 or <~22 degrees. When I say rattles - I mean if I pick it up, there is no noise, not unless I shake my device vigorously, which is probably not the intended use of the machine.

In these areas, the kickstand has less friction and more room to move.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
If the kickstand rattles when you pick it up, then perhaps it's too loose. Mine only rattles when open at 150 or <~22 degrees. When I say rattles - I mean if I pick it up, there is no noise, not unless I shake my device vigorously, which is probably not the intended use of the machine.

In these areas, the kickstand has less friction and more room to move.

Mine makes a clack when i lift it up and put it down. At any angle. Microsoft confirmed that it was not normal. Yet for some reason user sfter user keeps telling me that despite this advice from microsoft, it is actually acting normally. It leads me to wonder how many of these people offering such advice are actually afflicted by this issue, and how many are simply making it up as they go along.

Liam2349

Mine makes a clack when i lift it up and put it down. At any angle. Microsoft confirmed that it was not normal. Yet for some reason user sfter user keeps telling me that despite this advice from microsoft, it is actually acting normally. It leads me to wonder how many of these people offering such advice are actually afflicted by this issue, and how many are simply making it up as they go along.

If it clacks when you put it down, I'd say it's not supposed to do that - assuming you aren't slamming it onto a table.

If it bothers you, then go for a refund/replacement.