What's new

Kickstand loose and rattling

mwilson

Well I knew I had it coming. My SP3 was flawless, but started developing a rattle, there seems to be something loose at the hinges. Here are a couple of videos I had made of each issue.

I read the other thread on this matter but wanted to start a new one with the videos in the first post, in case others want to see what it looks like.

So.... normal, or problem?

Rattling

Loose

ctitanic

I wonder if anyone has managed to fix it. I have seen already few reports like this one from brand new out of the box Surfaces.

mitchellvii

I'm not sure why you care about that. How is it negatively affecting the use of your SP3? Mine "rattles" a bit like that as well but I never cared.

OP
M

mwilson

I'm not sure why you care about that. How is it negatively affecting the use of your SP3? Mine "rattles" a bit like that as well but I never cared.

Because it bothers me. I also level my picture frames, put a matchbook under a tilting table... and so on and so forth. It cheapens the feeling of an otherwise brilliant device. I will go tomorrow and have it exchanged. If I can't find one that's right, I'll get a refund as I'm still within the 30 days.

Let me give you another example. I once had a Ford, brand new, with a misaligned steering wheel airbag cover. It was off to one side rather noticeably, by 1/16 or so. Unable to get service to even acknowledge it's an issue, let alone fixing it, I got rid of it after a year and a half, loosing my ass off but regaining my sanity.

So yes, crass imperfections bother me.

RémiM

Yep I got pretty much the same problem. Mine was unable to maintain the kickstand alone < 25°. It was like butter. No resistance at all. And like you, it bothered me so much.

I bought it at BestBuy and they suggested to exchange it, without me asking for it.

You should check at your local store then.

That's normal - all 3 that I've had now, (and the 5 that I've opened in stores that had yellow line defects) have all had this wobble at certain angles. Most angles it's solid, but there's certain angles that all have had the wobble out of the box.

Aeron15

Mine rattles just about the same. I think it's normal. Not sure it has become the norm because all the other SP3s has the same defect or normal because it's meant to do that. Lol

dniezby

No problem with mine either. It rattles a bit but not when it's resting on it or when it's closed. If it were flapping around while I was carrying it or wouldn't hold up my SP3 that would be a different story.