What's new

I tried, really

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, as I said in my post I performed multiple resets, and would run update multiple times after the reset. The first update would install the major windows updates, and the subsequent ones would appear to be installing a series of smaller updates. This series of smaller updates would pop up again after each restart, appear to install, but continually reappear, thus apparently never getting installed. Now I had a problem on my desktop with a VC++ run-time update that would not reinstall, and found the KB that addressed this and fixed it.

The larger point of my post, and particularly as a former QA Manager and Program Manager AT Microsoft, is that here I was with a brand new device that I purchased at 3 in the afternoon. At 11:30 that night I was still up mucking with it just to get two frigging built in Apps to work.

I also understand the steps that Aldec mentioned in his post, having gone through them on my desktop to get (almost) everything working right on Win10. I also understand the importance of updating, particularly since I myself participated in working on and shipping many many patches and hot-fixes for various Microsoft products. Additionally, since updates are so important, why o why doesn't the SP4 Pro immediately force you into an update cycle when a new unit is started up?

I completely get that I could have installed Chrome, added Gmail there, and never experienced a problem. At least not until I needed to update an App through the App store. I don't have an answer as to why these problems manifested themselves on my unit, and that others claim to have one that works perfect with no glitches right out of the box. Peruse YouTube and you will see lots of issues with both Surface Pro and Book.

The whole point of my post is that I expected more out of Microsoft, particularly on a flagship product. We are just about 6 months post release and these types of problems should not be happening at this point. As I said, I will probably wait another two or three months for the problems to get ironed out and try again, and physically go into a Microsoft Store and make them find one with the latest manufacturing date possible.
I hear your frustrations - the crux of my question, are you still running 240 TH1 or 1511 TH2? The issues you are experiencing sound like the bugs in TH1, and were remediated in TH2.

OP
genegx

genegx

I hear your frustrations - the crux of my question, are you still running 240 TH1 or 1511 TH2? The issues you are experiencing sound like the bugs in TH1, and were remediated in TH2.

As I said in my OP, I returned it to the Microsoft Store yesterday. The SP4 that I bought had lot number 1605. Which build of Windows this incorporated I have no idea, as I didn't run winver, but I would think that it was at least a late 2015 version, which should have been 10586? Shouldn't Win Update have updated to latest build?

My desktop, however, which I upgraded early on is currently at Build 10240, and Windows Update says I am up to date with that build, so how do I get my desktop to upgrade to Build 10586?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
As I said in my OP, I returned it to the Microsoft Store yesterday. The SP4 that I bought had lot number 1605. Which build of Windows this incorporated I have no idea, as I didn't run winver, but I would think that it was at least a late 2015 version, which should have been 10586? Shouldn't Win Update have updated to latest build?

My desktop, however, which I upgraded early on is currently at Build 10240, and Windows Update says I am up to date with that build, so how do I get my desktop to upgrade to Build 10586?
You can try this thread over at the MS Forums:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e/1e483f88-8af0-4f90-a606-16e29f5e96b3?page=1

OP
genegx

genegx

It appears that this newer build is not currently available through normal distribution. I'll wait until Microsoft produces an update that comes the normal way, not one I have to get through TechNet. My desktop is working fine at any rate aside from a few App oddities. Thanks for the help though.

Aldec

M$? The mark of last century thinking.

I don't know how M$ has anything to do with Intel building chips. M$ uses chips Intel builds, unfortunately those chips suck and there isn't a darn thing M$ can do about it. They have to wait for Intel to fix it just like everyone else.

Please let this be the last time I type or read M$... so let it be written, so let it be done.
I find it extraordinary that you can absolve M$ from any faults, which are obviously due to insufficient quality control regarding Intel chips.
It is their responsibility to supply a machine fit for purpose, and installing duff chips does not fulfil that objective.
Just blaming Intel is a cop out, this is an expensive top of the range flagship, and it is right to express dissatisfaction.
I now have what I wanted in the first place, but had to reject the first two, one in three is not good enough.

nnthemperor

You would expect their very own device that the control hardware and software to be roster error free, but it seems to be the one with the most problem.

OP
genegx

genegx

I still want an SP4, but I will wait until fixed and updated 1511 builds are mainstreamed, and on the SP4's that I find in the MSFT store. Maybe we will see general distribution of 1511 for the April update time frame.

If, as Aldec says, there are problems with the Skylake chipset, then that is a much more significant problem. Typically, at least in the past, Intel has been on top of issues that affect their chips and gets fixes out in a timely manner. Problem is, MSFT seems to be silent on all of this at this point, which usually means they don't have a good fix in view.

Aldec

I still want an SP4, but I will wait until fixed and updated 1511 builds are mainstreamed, and on the SP4's that I find in the MSFT store. Maybe we will see general distribution of 1511 for the April update time frame.

If, as Aldec says, there are problems with the Skylake chipset, then that is a much more significant problem. Typically, at least in the past, Intel has been on top of issues that affect their chips and gets fixes out in a timely manner. Problem is, MSFT seems to be silent on all of this at this point, which usually means they don't have a good fix in view.
It will be difficult for MSFT to produce a fix for Skylake
These chips are giving variable performances, going from either working seamlessly or abjectly useless, I am going by my own experience.
This has also been well documented and backed up by other members in this forum.
Only way out I can see is for Intel and MSFT to get a grip on their quality control.

coolowl

Someone asked so here's my reply. I use my SP4 every day and it does everything fine. I use it for Excel mostly, but also the Internet and email. So, I'm not taxing it but there's no problems here. It wakes sometimes on it's own from having the keyboard closed. When it doesn't I tap the power key once and it's back. So, happy camper here. It's silent and lightweight and I couldn't be happier. And you'd have to know me to understand how significant that is. I'm the king of returns. Heck, I once bought three TV's in one day as I kept returning them. I am terrible at buyer's remorse. But honestly, I've not had regrets about buying this one bit. Sorry for those who have troubles.

mwilson

SP4 i7 here, issue-free for the most part, bought in November. For some reason I get the feeling that more problems pertain to the i5 version, am I off the mark here?

leeshor

My i5 4/128 is problem free, the way I use it and with my settings. The same applies to everyone else I know with an i5, various memory/storage configs.

eholbik

Had issues the first week or so... in Jan. Since the updates, problem free..... love this device.

Sent from mTalk