What's new

Hello Forum

RiDDO

Just a quick post to say 'hello' to whoever reads this. I'm a recent convert (less than a month) from Apple to Microsoft (13.5" Surface Book 2 i7/512MB/16GB/nVidea 1060). I am finding my way around Windows 10 and learning as I go. Really impressed with this machine!

I'm your average middle aged 'tech geek', into computers, amateur radio, petrol, music and Range Rovers.

No idea if I will be able to contribute to much, but I will be lurking and soaking up all the hints & tips I can

Thanks, RiDDO

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome, @RiDDO,

No need to "convert" to PCs. You can do both. Like learning a new language, and using both.

I like apples AND oranges, pizza AND burgers. Each has its righ time and best benefit. Fit for purpose. Besides, you will be better at both Apple and PC ecosystems, which is another benefit.

Glad you like the Surface Book. It is a solid machine. Windows 10 is highly configurable, to make it work for you.

"Petrol?" Oil and gas industry?

OP
RiDDO

RiDDO

Thanks for the welcome sharpuser,

Petrol as in 'Petrol Head', a lover of all things utilising internal combustion engines! :)

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just a quick post to say 'hello' to whoever reads this. I'm a recent convert (less than a month) from Apple to Microsoft (13.5" Surface Book 2 i7/512MB/16GB/nVidea 1060). I am finding my way around Windows 10 and learning as I go. Really impressed with this machine!

I'm your average middle aged 'tech geek', into computers, amateur radio, petrol, music and Range Rovers.

No idea if I will be able to contribute to much, but I will be lurking and soaking up all the hints & tips I can

Thanks, RiDDO

Hello RIDDO - Welcome to the Microsoft Surface Forms - and Welcome to the Mircosoft Family! Much like you, I have used both and I prefer Windows and Microsoft Software and Machines. Congrats also on your new i7 Beast of a machine - I opted to 'treat' myself this time around to the maxed out version - No regrets.

The power stuffed into these small powerhouses is INCREDIBLE isn't it? One thing I can give you a small amount of advice on is - If you "get stuck" or need to know how to do something within Windows - Just Google it! There are SO many videos and articles written on the "how-to" you can find multiple ways to do just about anything on your Windows Machine. Like 'SharpUser' mentioned - no need to completely convert - I'd stay brushed up on both Operating Systems. Again - Welcome to the Absolute Best Forum on the internet (in my experience) - Enjoy!

OP
RiDDO

RiDDO

My two sons were extremely interested in any and all internal combustion engines until I bought one mounted on a lawnmower chassis.

I would've given my high teeth to have had a 'cart', lawnmower chassis or not! They don't know how lucky they were!

OP
RiDDO

RiDDO

Hello RIDDO - Welcome to the Microsoft Surface Forms - and Welcome to the Mircosoft Family! Much like you, I have used both and I prefer Windows and Microsoft Software and Machines. Congrats also on your new i7 Beast of a machine - I opted to 'treat' myself this time around to the maxed out version - No regrets.

The power stuffed into these small powerhouses is INCREDIBLE isn't it? One thing I can give you a small amount of advice on is - If you "get stuck" or need to know how to do something within Windows - Just Google it! There are SO many videos and articles written on the "how-to" you can find multiple ways to do just about anything on your Windows Machine. Like 'SharpUser' mentioned - no need to completely convert - I'd stay brushed up on both Operating Systems. Again - Welcome to the Absolute Best Forum on the internet (in my experience) - Enjoy!

Hi MikemanSP4, thanks you for your welcome. Sadly Apple aren't innovating like they once were. Still it was a creative roll to end all creative rolls! I bought Apple stock way back in 1997, 13 stock splits later I'm sitting pretty!!

I have used Windows at work for many years, we are still using 7, so I'm not exactly in the dark when it comes to Microsoft, but there's a big jump from 7 to 10! I'm doing OK though, the only real thing I miss is the ability to send/receive messages and make and receive call from my SB2, but I figure in time that functionality will come from Microsoft as they integrate Apple functionality into Windows 10, even more so now they appear to have killed the Windows Phone. I have to agree the power and the usability of this Surface Book 2 is quite astonishing. I hope to install Solidworks on it in the not to distant future which will allow me to use it for both work and pleasure. I am pretty much all configured up now, almost a month into SB2 ownership, a couple of hiccups along the way but I have solved them (like you say, thank you Google), and all is well!

I'm toying with giving my Grandson my 4 year old 15" Retina MacBook Pro which is i7/16GB/1TB SSD/nVidea. I'm just not sure if he's ready for such responsibility and more to the point, am I ready to hand over such a beast of a machine? He's going to college this Autumn (Fall) and is going to need something to see him through those years, suppose I had better man up and make a decision, and decide if he is 'grown up' enough to look after it!

Once again 'thank you' for the welcome.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
With regards to your Grandson and the Beast of a MacBook you mentioned - As I am sure your aware, a LOT of the current college course's can demand and utilize some pretty heavy software / hardware requirements. The good news it - It's a MacBook, so the chances of him corrupting the OS are pretty slim, and he won't need to upgrade his PC / Hardware for his entire college stay. It's a tough decision - I know. I have a 16 year old son and a (spare) Surface Pro 4, i7, 8GB - and I still have not handed it over to him. Mainly because the SP4 is in my opinion, slightly more delicate than the average machine, so if he dropped, spilled liquid, BAM! I am out €1800.00. So I will most likely buy him a higher than average spec, used laptop so that not IF, but WHEN he destroys it, I won't be too bummed out.

You mentioned the inability to make calls and send receive messages from your SB2 - Which phone are you using? Something to think about - if your using WhatsApp - there is always What'sAppWeb. Additionally, based on which phone you are using, there are a few options to link your phone (see attached picture) to Windows 10 - Don't forget "Google Search" will often give you step-by-step, illustrated guides for doing such. Sorry to beat a dead horse.

I am not familiar with SolidWorks, but I would imagine it's probably spec-heavy. Let me know if you install it and how it works out for your Surface Beast 2. Take care, and again - thanks for your reply.

Mike

Capture.PNG

Hello,

Recently I also purchased Microsoft Surface Laptop (Intel Core i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB) - Platinum and I am also much satisfied from this product. I like its processing speed, this product really rocks.