What's new

Cameras fail after upgrade to build 2004 Windows10

John Lenz

New SurfacePro7 came with 1909 build. I brought it to current update levels and installed all my software (Office 2013, etc.).. I then configured
Hello Face" for signon. It worked just fine.

However, When I upgraded to build 2004, all cameras went to "POWER FILURE" and "Hello Face" could not "see" any camera.

I went to windows10 forums but the were no help. All there answers were for general cameras on a windows 10 platform. Un-installing and rebooting did nothing.

I have now sent back for replacement my second SurfacePro7 ( under warranty). Since it will fail. does anyone know what is happening???

OP
J

John Lenz

OK, Here is what happens. The Surface7 is a Pro with Windows10Pro. I paid extra for this because I have a server2102R2 domain for my small home business. Prior to build Wundows10Pro 2004, the "Hello Face" was operable for Domain logon. When up[graded to build 2004, "Hello Face" is currently no longer available

I rebuilt the surface by starting in my MS account before joining the domain. "Hello Face" is available if I am not joined to the domain in the MS account profile. I wonder why the domain side of WIndows10Pro will not allow the "Hello Face" option. I'll post in the server forum to find out.

The cameras are still functioning since I did not start out with the "Hello Face" option in this build. Crazy?

OP
J

John Lenz

What do I have to do to get the Microsoft Surface product team to take notice!

You can see from above that cameras were working as long as I did not activate it in the MS account logon. Well, I have been applying Microsoft updates for the Surface from WSUS and guess what, I lost the cameras with a power failure message after applying several INTEL & RealTek updates. Fortunately, I did a system Restore point before updating. I could go back to a level where the system cameras are operating. I will now go through one update at a time to see which one kills the cameras.

Why does the product team not know this and flag it?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You are experiencing an issue with your legacy Active Directory Domain Security Policies - you can try this:

Open gpedit.msc
Navigate to Policy > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Hello for Business
Select Use Windows Hello for Business
Select the disable option
Click Apply
Click OK

OP
J

John Lenz

Ok. the Intel 10.24.0.4029 APPROVED Microsoft update for the Surface7 caused audio & cameras to fail with "Power Failure".

I did a system restore back to prior to this update and the cameras & audio are working.

Do I have to do one update at a time to see if it corrupts the Surface7???

OP
J

John Lenz

My current problem is that WSUS is still serving up all the drivers when I join the domain. So, it is camera dread again. Another return. I will check in with the server WSUS group to see how I can reset the driver approval.

OP
J

John Lenz

I have now restored the replacement Surface7 and am at join domain. I created a system image at the point where I left the MS account and before the domain join. I think that will be a better "restart" point rather than sending the surface7 back.

Question. The system image process stated bitlocker on drive. Is there a special process in the event I have to restore the Surfaace7 back to a system image state?

Please advise.