What's new

Battery drain in "Connected Standby"

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Well.. Celebrated too early! It is back..

Tried to check after every installed app, but not really sure what caused it.. The last program I installed before it re-appeared was iTunes from Apple..

Anyone have any good ideas?! This is killing me!
Well.....first rule of troubleshooting is to roll back the last thing, so uninstall iTunes and see if the problem goes away. Another option is disable the Bonjour Service and see if it fixes it.....

OP
a[c]e

a[c]e

No luck on uninstalling all programs from Apple..

This is insane.. When I google it, I find that many people have similar problems, but there seem to be NO fix that is actually resolving this issue?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
No luck on uninstalling all programs from Apple..

This is insane.. When I google it, I find that many people have similar problems, but there seem to be NO fix that is actually resolving this issue?
OK, so what else is installed, software and hardware?

OP
a[c]e

a[c]e

Citrix Reciever, Adobe Photoshop CS3, VLC Player, Google Chrome

That is pretty much it.. Everything else came with the Surface 3..

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Citrix Reciever, Adobe Photoshop CS3, VLC Player, Google Chrome

That is pretty much it.. Everything else came with the Surface 3..
is the Citrix Receiver the MUI App or the Win32 Client? CS3 is CIRCA 2007 which can cause Connected Standby Issues, VLC Win32 or MUI? And Chrome causes all sorts of issues on Windows Mobile Devices.....

Are you using the same Mouse as earlier?

OP
a[c]e

a[c]e

I think the Citrix is the win32 client (I think). VLC is MUI (I think).. Not an Expert here..

Same mouse, but with BT.

Last edited:
OP
a[c]e

a[c]e

Could this be a hardware error or not likely? Considering changing the whole Surface in a new one.

ptrkhh

I think the Citrix is the win32 client (I think). VLC is MUI (I think).. Not an Expert here..
Same mouse, but with BT.
Did you install it after the refresh? If yes, then it must be a Win32. If it was a MUI app, it would be automatically restored after the refresh.

I don't think its a hardware issue, since you have had good sleep study report for a moment. I suspect the problem lies in a desktop program. I could be wrong though

Try Sytem Restore to restore it the moment before you installed iTunes.

If all else fails, try this:
1. Refresh the SP3 again
2. Install one or two desktop program, restart
3. Test the sleep (give about 30min of connected standby)
4. Repeat step 2-3 until you find the culprit

It would take a heck lot of time tho.

In case you didn't know,
Win32 = desktop
MUI = Metro UI

OP
a[c]e

a[c]e

Thanks again for all your replies..

I bought the Surface with a 30 day guarantee (money back if not satisfied), and since 30 days was approaching fast I decided to hand it in and buy a new one! The new one had even dropped about 80$, so I'm happy..

So I am currently on a brand new Surface.. Have just installed a few programs and will give it time and install programs one by one over time, to see what causes the problem if it appears again.

This Surface does seem to work better already, at least the battery.. Do have some issues with the pen though, but will post that in a dedicated thread if it remains to be a problem :p

OP
a[c]e

a[c]e

Question: I have been using "JottaCloud", a cloud backup service. Could it be the cause of the USB xHCI?