What's new

Normal Battery Loss during 4:00 hr Connected Standby before auto-hibernate?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
As you can see in the picture, everything shows very low active time, yet the overall battery loss is high... there's nothing to drill down to unfortunately! I turned off Tapatalk notifications for now (they were very frequent), I want to see if overnight I experience similar 8% loss.
You drill down on the section called Activators.... it will tell you what is waking the system and impact on battery....

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Is it possible to disable Connected Standby and just use traditional sleep? I do not have an SP3 (yet...), but my Vaio Pro 11 loses less than 0.1% per hour when it is in traditional sleep. For instance, I'll frequently put it to sleep around dinner time and will not wake it up until the next morning, and it will lose only 1 percent.

If I had an SP3, I wouldn't need it to be connected all the time. That's what my smartphone is for. I'd rather have the extra battery life than the "always on" connectivity....
Not without some hacking or enabling Hyper-V, before you pass judgment try it... this is the direction that mobile platforms are headed and we see much more of this....S3 is not as efficient as S0iX....

OP
R

rlarsen462

You drill down on the section called Activators.... it will tell you what is waking the system and impact on battery....
Yes, I've done this, all the activators are green and have very low active times, nothing to suggest what's contributing to the 8% loss. Also, still had 8% last night with the notifications off so it's not that causing it...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, I've done this, all the activators are green and have very low active times, nothing to suggest what's contributing to the 8% loss. Also, still had 8% last night with the notifications off so it's not that causing it...
Have you done a Refresh? as much as I hate that as an answer...

malberttoo

Yes, I've done this, all the activators are green and have very low active times, nothing to suggest what's contributing to the 8% loss...

Have you done a Refresh? as much as I hate that as an answer...

It's true, he does hate that as a solution...:D And some research should be done to try find the cause of problems. But when all else fails and no good answers are coming, it worked wonders on my SP3. Just my .02.

FlySwatter

...Can I turn all notifications off at once or does it have to be done at the individual application level?...
For my own edification, if you go to Charms, Settings, PC Settings, Search and Apps, Notifications, the top option is "Show App Notifications" (on/off). Does this turn off all notifications or only prevent them from updating on the lock screen?

OP
R

rlarsen462

I think turning off that shuts off all notifications, period.

For the record, I still haven't resolved this... even with basically nothing showing in Sleepstudy I am still getting around 6-8% drain (500-900mW drain rate) over 4:00 hours of connected standby.

No one has confirmed yet whether this is to be anticipated as normal? Are there people getting substantially less than 6-8% over 4 hours, repeatedly, with WiFi on and connected to a network?

Thanks again.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I think turning off that shuts off all notifications, period.

For the record, I still haven't resolved this... even with basically nothing showing in Sleepstudy I am still getting around 6-8% drain (500-900mW drain rate) over 4:00 hours of connected standby.

No one has confirmed yet whether this is to be anticipated as normal? Are there people getting substantially less than 6-8% over 4 hours, repeatedly, with WiFi on and connected to a network?

Thanks again.
That is not normal... something is draining your battery, either preventing it from entering Connected Standby consistently or utilizing resources. You never told us what Security Suite you are using, are you using the default Defender or 3rd Party? Have you installed any Win32 utilities that may not be suspending correctly?

OP
R

rlarsen462

Default defender. Whatever it is that is causing this neither shows up in the sleep study nor shows any errors in powercfg /energy. I am at a total loss as to why I am consistently getting this kind of drain.

I guess the only recourse is to refresh the machine and try again?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Default defender. Whatever it is that is causing this neither shows up in the sleep study nor shows any errors in powercfg /energy. I am at a total loss as to why I am consistently getting this kind of drain.

I guess the only recourse is to refresh the machine and try again?
Then it is most likely a Win32 Program or Driver....

How many Win32 Programs or Utilities have you installed? Any legacy peripherals?

The easiest route is a refresh and see if it clears up, if not it would be a full reset.

OP
R

rlarsen462

Well, a refresh did nothing. 9% battery loss during the 4 hours of connected standby before hibernate last night, after the refresh (did not reinstall anything that was removed, other than XTU which was not running when I put it in standby).

No activators or activity showing in sleepstudy, all green except for the standby session itself which was red >900mW drain during 4 hrs, 9% loss.

Guess I'll do a full reset, and if it's still such high drain I guess the hardware is defective or something? I am kind of at a loss.

And please, if anyone can give me a value to EXPECT, I would appreciate it. I've seen a couple posts saying what I am seeing is not normal, but I don't know what IS normal for this situation (very little if anything running, WiFi connected). 2%? 4%? 1%?

Appreciate the help, I am still in the return window so I can take it back if necessary (again, this is Surface number 4, losing hope).