What's new

Backlight bleed and bright spots on all devices?

Plantje

In the past months, I have been writing more and more on mu Surface Pro 2017 Advanced LTE and noticed back light bleed and bright spots appear again.

I do not put a lot of pressure on the screen.

Does anyone recognize this? Is this also happening to other Surface devices?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I write very often on my Surface Book 2 units. They are about 9 years old now. No bleeding or spots. I hope yours are merely transient.

OP
Plantje

Plantje

I know you do. Do you also write on it while it is plugged in? (And perhaps running somewhat hot)
I really don't know what is going on here. I have had this with about 4 or 5 Surface Pro devices. I have also started several topics on it here. I know there's more people out there that have this issue. But most likely not everyone has it....otherwise I would guess no one would still be buying Surface devices!

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Yes - I write hot.

I wonder if the device is being deformed - that is, bowed. Kind of like a smartphone that gets bent from being in a back pocket.

OP
Plantje

Plantje

No, not at all. And I am pretty sure it has to do with the writing on the tablet. Since this was the last exchange I could do before it went out of warranty I waited as long as possible before using the tablet to write on (months and months) and the result was: no bright spots!
And when I finally did use the tablet to write on I made sure I didn't apply pressure. Sure, you need to rest your palm, but I was being very cautious! And lo and behold.... there came the bright spots again.

Only thing that may perhaps help is to pull a little bit on the screen using a suction cup. But I am really not looking forward to doing so!

I'm still just surprised that there seem to be very few people experiencing this issue.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Only thing that may perhaps help is to pull a little bit on the screen using a suction cup.
Clever. If you try the suction cup idea, make sure the screen is warm, and cool down quickly after doing so. That should help "set" any adhesive behind the screen into its new fit.

OP
Plantje

Plantje

Well, I know that is what is suggested, but I don't think I am going to do that. I am worried it might do more harm than good.

Well, a spot just showed up on my Surface Pro X sq2 today. I did not apply any pressure to it at all. I got a 2 year warranty and it is going back to the store where l bought it. I will send an email on Friday and start the process.

Attachments

• 57D2110A-CFB3-491B-869B-24983612CAFC.jpeg
    57D2110A-CFB3-491B-869B-24983612CAFC.jpeg
    44.8 KB · Views: 207
OP
Plantje

Plantje

Ouch! That doesn't look too good! Appreciate the fact that you point it out here. This is definitely similar to what I am seeing!

What concerns me is the fact that the SP X also has this issue! When handling one in a local store I noticed that the screen is a lot less flexible. So it is more like a screen of an iPad or any Android tablet for that matter.

Ouch! That doesn't look too good! Appreciate the fact that you point it out here. This is definitely similar to what I am seeing!

What concerns me is the fact that the SP X also has this issue! When handling one in a local store I noticed that the screen is a lot less flexible. So it is more like a screen of an iPad or any Android tablet for that matter.
I know. I will let you know how everything turns out. This was purchased on Dec. 6, 2020. It lasted this long without a spot showing up.

OP
Plantje

Plantje

Currently I have 4 of them and they are pretty persistent. I am thinking of switching to Android anyway. For some reason my company doesn't support enrolling a Windows device in Microsoft Company Portal. I can enroll any Android or iOS device I want however...

Currently I have 4 of them and they are pretty persistent. I am thinking of switching to Android anyway. For some reason my company doesn't support enrolling a Windows device in Microsoft Company Portal. I can enroll any Android or iOS device I want however...
Well, l will see what happens with the next one.

Did more research and found this.

Surface Pro X Color Bleed