What's new

auto rotate issues

Jayfluet

So this has happened for the entirety of my use for the surface pro but has recently gotten worse. For some reason some specific actions I did caused the auto-rotate popup asking to switch to tablet mode to pop up. Recently, however, the popups became so frequent that I attempted to disable them. But by doing this I inadvertently made it worse. Now, whenever I activated auto-rotate (despite me marking the settings to never use tablet mode) I'd have no way to get out of tablet mode. disabling auto-rotate didn't work troubleshooting didn't either. Disconnecting or going to the settings itself didn't work as well. The worst part about all of this is that auto-rotate turns off whenever it pleases. Please do any of you have any suggestions because this is becoming exasperating.

Last edited:

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Which Surface model do you have?

When I had an Surface Pro 3, auto-rotate was malfunctioning just as you describe. It took me a couple of weeks to finally do a 'Reset' of Windows ("Keep my files" option) which cleared it up.

OP
J

Jayfluet

Which Surface model do you have?

When I had an Surface Pro 3, auto-rotate was malfunctioning just as you describe. It took me a couple of weeks to finally do a 'Reset' of Windows ("Keep my files" option) which cleared it up.
Oh, could you explain to me how to do that if that's alright?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry that did not work out.

Assuming that you have all the latest software and firmware installed (Windows Update), either a complete re-install of Windows (Reset, but with the “remove everything” option, or waiting for Windows 11 (this Fall) are your next steps.

What model Surface do you have?

iamchris2021

I occasionally get a problem with my auto rotate, and if it stops working I just hit the power button to turn off the screen and then hit it again to turn it back on, then it works again. Not sure if it will work in your case though...